Just There Again

Each time he talks to me, rushes of cold air course throughout me. Up my arms, back, and legs and I shiver uncontrollably. I get a migraine, and with each step my feet feel like blocks of lead being picked up and set down. Up, down. Up, and down. But that's nothing compared to my  pounding heart.

There's a prisoner there, strapped with a ball and chain, dragging it around. Clink, clink, clink. The longer I wait he starts beating on the walls of his cell. Thump, thump thump, thud, thud. I literally thought my heart was going to burst and he was going to make a break. Unfortunately he never did.

Just like how I couldn't bring myself to cry. I cried a bit no doubt but I knew it wasn't enough. After you cry, you're supposed to feel either refreshed or sleepy, and whatever you just got upset about was somehow buried in the corners of your mind. Even if you had to try a little it wasn't hard to swallow your conflict. But I hadn't cried for a while and God do I want to. I can't stand this mopey depressed feeling that has my eyes glazed over. It caused me to go to bed when the sun hasn't set. It caused me to sit around watching TV or playing video games because that doesn't require thought. Homework requires thought. Talking to him requires thought. I couldn't do it.

Quite simply, I was numbed again. Just the same as I was right before I met him. My parent's divorce and the unforgiving school system had numbed me then, and now he was inflicting nothing on me. Funny how everything seems to come back full circle.