June - Part VII.

“I’ve been dying for this day.” Trish unrolls a roller from my hair.

I narrow my eyes at her reflection. “Why?”

“Because you both are finally going on a date.”

I quickly turn my body towards her. “It’s not a date. It’s an agreement we made to prove that I’m fun.”

Trish turns my shoulders back towards the mirror. “You both agreed to go out and now you’re going to dance.” She sings.

“One, you’re coming which makes it less of a date. And two, it’s one dance. Not a relationship proposal.”

“It could be if you just let it and I don’t even know why I’m going. It’s supposed to be the two of you. Why do I have to be the third wheel?”

“You’re not being a third wheel and you’re coming because you love me.”

She shakes her head and releases the last roller in my hair before fluffing out my curls.

“Perfect.” Her red lips curl around her teeth.

“Thanks.”

“Okay. Okay. Stand up and give me a twirl.”

I stand to my heeled feet and spin around.

“God, you’re glowing like a minx in that dress.”

I blush. “Shut up. It’s your dress.”

“But I wish I looked like you. Go look in the mirror.”

I click over to the full length mirror in the corner of her room.

I have to admit. Her lacy halter dress clinged in all the right places. She lent me her gold strappy heels. My usual afro is tamed into large curls kissing my shoulders.

Excitement bubbles in my stomach.

“The Lyft is here.”

I follow Trish who is wearing a red dress with black shoes. We climb into the back of our ride to the address of the club. Neither one of us has been to the spot, but Bennett said it would be lots of fun and we could grab food before.

“So, what song are you hoping to dance with Bennett? Slow or fast? Hopefully, dirty.” Trish pokes my side.

I awkwardly make eye contact with our driver in the rearview mirror. He gives me a sympathetic smile.

“Shut up. And no.”

“Okay, look, Ray, don’t be like this. Promise me that you’ll try to enjoy yourself.”

“I will. I can be fun.” I whine.

“I know.” She pats my shoulder.

I cut my eyes at her. “Just you wait. I’m gonna be loads of fun.”

Trish and the driver snicker as he pulls up to the place.

They both irritate me.

Trish and I go inside and find Bennett with a group of people. He’s in mid laugh when he sees us. We wave. His smile slips as his eyes look up and down the length of my body. My face warms.

“Oh, yeah. Tonight will be fun.” Trish whispers and bumps me further.

Bennett meets us halfway. “Hey, you made it.”

“A deal is a deal.”

“You look beautiful.” He whispers and kisses my cheek.

“Thanks.” My eyes meet the others in his group. I clear my throat and step back.