Chapter 5

A/N We don't own any of the franchises referenced in this story. We are just fans.

Chapter 5

As Douglas Fargo replayed in his mind the events of the tour, he was absolutely thrilled. O'Neill had said that they wanted him to help with the Altair built Astraeus Class ships. He was concerned, however, because as much as they said they wanted Holly Marten on the team, they hadn't asked for her specifically. She might not want to give up her job at Colson Industries.

His fears were somewhat justified. Holly was very hesitant to leave Colson, as she was one of the senior researchers. Fargo almost changed his mind about working at Altair, but Colson saw the hesitation, and decided to give him a bit of an incentive.

Holly and Fargo were sitting in Colson's office. It was strange to be sitting there without Colson in the room, but his secretary had hurriedly shown them in when they arrived for the nine o'clock meeting. It was now a quarter past, and Colson still had not arrived. Holly was concerned. "What if he doesn't like my work? I haven't been here very long. Maybe he's going to fire me. Maybe…."

Fargo was spared from answering when the door to the office opened, and Colson strode in. He sat down and said, "Good morning. Sorry for being late."

"That's ok, Mr. Colson. Whatever the problem is, I'm sure we can fix…" she stopped as he waved her off.

"You're not in trouble, Holly. In fact, your work has been exemplary. So much so, that I'm placing you and Doug on a special project."

"Special project?" Fargo asked. "But sir, I gave my notice. As a matter of fact, you were there when General O'Neill asked me to help out at the Altair site. I won't be here after tomorrow, Sir."

"I realize that, Dr. Fargo," Colson said. "And I know that they want Dr. Marten there as well. Far more than they let on, as a matter of fact. I spoke with General Carter, after she said they would love to have her. She told me that 'love to have her' was an understatement."

"Oh!" was all Holly could say.

"The fact of the matter is that the GD-305 ships will have the Colson Industries name on their engines. That means there needs to be some Colson Industries people there, when they're being built. Now, I've told General Carter that you two will remain on my payroll, but that you will be subject to the chain of command at Global Dynamics. My understanding is that the Earth Stargate will be placed in Section 5 of GD. Therefore, officially this will be a Section 5 project. It will be under Dr. Donovan's purview, but on Altair, General Carter is in charge. Dr. Donovan, himself will be following her orders while on Altair." He looked at Fargo closely for a few moments.

"Doug," he said. "I realize that this puts you considerably down the totem pole at the facility where you used to be in charge. Will you be okay with that?"

"Sir, I'm fine with it," he said quickly. "I'm going to be working on another planet. How many people can say that?"

"Wonderful! Now, what do you say, Dr. Marten?" He asked Holly.

"I don't know what to say, Mr. Colson. Except, thank you! I wanted to go, but I kept thinking that my job was too important to lose. Now, I don't have to lose it!"

Colson smiled, and shook both of their hands. "You are now freed from your current projects, and are to report to Global Dynamics in a week's time. As an added bonus, you will both be receiving substantial pay increases."

It was one of the rare instances where Dr. Holly Marten was speechless.

At Global Dynamics...