Photograph

Cassie sat in Brady's car, this time on the passenger side of Brady's car. In just over an hour they had swapped positions. She sobbed silently in Brady's car. Lately she had been crying a lot and she didn't like it. She hated how weak she seemed, in that moment sitting in Brady's car she put her pride aside and drained out all the tears she could because her friend had just died. Matt was the light of their group, without light there is darkness, Matt's absence from their friendship would leave them in darkness for a very long time.

In their group they all had different crucial roles to play. Matt was the light; the one who always put a smile on everyone's face. Danny was the calm one; the one who ensured there was always peace. Jesse was the quiet one; the one who kept a sense of normality in the group. Tucker was the hype one; the one who brought in the fun. Phoebe was the glue; the one who always organized their hangouts. Cassie was the brains; the one who always gave logical advice. Tyler was the leader, the one every single person trusted. They were seven different people, different characters, but together they formed a perfect rainbow, different colours that blended together so beautifully.

"Will you like me to take you back to the station to pick up your car or you'd rather head straight home?" He asked as he glanced at her worriedly. He was still struggling himself, but he had to put on a brave face for Cassie.

"Home," she replied stoically as she leaned to her right to rest her head on the window frame, she was numb. She gave Brady her address and he drove her home.

"We're here," Brady said as soon as they were parked outside her house. Cassie's eyes fluttered open and she stared at her house. She could not help but think about how Caleb was dragged through the front door because of her.

"Thanks," she replied softly, as she pushed open his car and grudgingly dragged her feet up the steps of her house.

"Cassidy Anne Meyer is that you?" She heard her dad yell all the way from his study.

"The one and only," she replied lazily. She heard footsteps march down the stairs and was soon faced with both her parents. 

"Don't give us that tone," her mother yelled "what the hell is wrong with you Cassidy?" She asked, with tears welling up in her eyes. "Why did you do it? Do you hate your brother?" She asked "do you hate us?"

"Of course I don't hate Caleb." She said felling hurt that her mum would immediately come to that conclusion "neither do I hate you or dad," she added.

"All those times you guys fought I thought it was just the usual brother and sister fights that will evaporate as soon as it happens," her mum said, with her heart placed on her chest, as though she was trying to stop it from shattering or falling out.

"They were," Cassie replied weakly.

"Then why Cassie why?" Her father yelled "First of all, you went behind our backs to work on a murder case. What were you thinking?" He asked, raising his voice a bit higher. Cassie simply dropped her head in shame. She couldn't look up at her parents anymore. She didn't want to see how hurt they were. She didn't want to see the look of pain in their eyes. She knew they didn't hate her, they couldn't, she was their daughter, but she also knew that they were extremely disappointed in her. She hated being a disappointment to the people she loved, but lately that seemed to be her only forte.

"We don't want to see you anywhere near the station again, the only way you'd be allowed there is to see your brother, although I'm sure that right now, you're the last person he wants to see. And if you ever go there, one of us has to be there with you," her mother said impassively, pointing to Cassie's dad and to herself. "Also, you're grounded, when you're done with school we want you to come straight home, if you're late, even if it's by a minute, your punishment will be increased"