XIV

Aʟᴇᴡ (ɴ) -A ᴄʀʏ ᴏғ ᴅᴇsᴀɪʀ

Triggers:
-physical abuse
-alcoholism
-homophobia

Remember to vote :)

"YOU NEVER LISTEN TO ME."
"MAYBE IF YOU STOPPED FUCKING DRINKING I WOULD."

"You're going out with a bunch of random guys, fucking them, cheating on me like the stupid fucking whore you are."

Alice resisted the urge to scream.
"FUCKING GET OUT OF MY HOUSE."

"THIS ISN'T YOUR HOUSE, AND NEVER WILL BE."

"ASSHOLE"

A loud noise rang through the house.

Silence.

...

A young girl, 7 years old, got up from her bed.
She crept to the top of the staircase and sat down.

"Mama? Daddy?"

"Go back to bed, hun," the father said.

"Is mommy okay?"

Her mom spoke up:
"I'm fine baby, me and daddy were just having a little argument, that's all. Everyone is okay, go get some sleep. I'm sorry for being too loud."

The girl shuffled down the stairs. She was wearing a pink nightgown and was holding a teddy bear.

She was startled but not surprised to see a large red mark on her mother's face.
Her parents were sitting on the couch, both of them looking at the ground.

"Daddy, did you hurt mommy?" She timidly asked.
"Alice, help me out here," he sighed.

Alice cleared her throat.
"He didn't hurt me bad, Ava. He was just angry. He doesn't mean anything, and don't worry, he would never EVER hurt you. No one would hurt beautiful, pretty Ava."

Ava giggled at this, which caused her mom to smile.

She got up and walked up to her daughter.
She cupped her face in her hands and looked in her eyes.
"Hey, you should go back up to bed, mr bear looks pretty tired."

Ava looked at her teddy bear thoughtfully, deciding that he did look pretty tired.
"Yeah, mr bear needs sleep. Okay mommy we'll go back upstairs. G'night!"

Good night baby," her mother said with a smile, "and good night to you too, mr bear."

Ava walked up the stairs, and sat at the top of them. She opened and closed her bedroom door so her parents thought she was in her room- she might've been young, but she was smart.

"Steve..."
"Alice, if I get a phone call from fucking cps or something saying that our daughter told them all about this shit, you'd better pray."

Ava watched as her dad got up and walked out of the house.

• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •

9 years later.

Ava is seated at her desk, computer opened to Skype.

She's watching and listening to a girl on the other end talk about her day.