Chapter- 4

Aura Finley

Upon entering The Lotus Heritage, the five-star hotel I was asked to meet in by the caller Rian Mackay, the first thing that hit me was the cool air of the centralized air-conditioner, which gave my sweaty and heat-agitated self a partial relief. The scorching sun outside could melt a walking human.

Now, standing in the hotel lobby, I couldn't help but admire the elegance of the impressive architecture, and the beauty of the finest antique articles that must have cost fortunes. The grand space filled with an unnatural floral aroma could recharge a miserable soul and soothe the senses. The hotel lobby was illuminated with the soft welcoming light as if it were morning sunshine in delicate yellow hues.

The involvement of golden color in choosing the material to give the hotel a luxury finish had me raise a factual question: What's with the five-star hotels and their obsession with golden color?

Taking my mind off the attractiveness of the hotel exhibited to allure the customers, I asked for Rian Mackay at the reception desk, then, almost immediately I was directed to the table where my client had been waiting for me. Thanking the staff member who led me to the area, I clutched the strap of my sling bag and made my way towards the table where a lady whose back faced me was sitting alone.

With slow yet determined steps, I approached her and cleared my throat. "Excuse me." As soon as I gained her attention, I was left awestruck by her beauty. She was a stunning and polished young girl, maybe around my age, who wore the sophisticated designer, expensive bodycon dress. In short, she looked gorgeous.

Her eyes sparkled upon seeing me. "Aura Finley?" She asked as she stood up from the chair. I responded with a light smile while nodding my head.

"Rian Mackay." She extended her hand for a handshake. I grabbed the hand and responded politely. "Nice to meet you, Miss Mackay."

"Oh, call me Rian and please, have a seat." She waved her hand and gestured for me to sit.

Removing my sling bag from the shoulder, I sat and placed it on my lap. "So, what's that something you needed my help with?" I fired the question without beating around the bush.

She chuckled showing her bright white teeth, "Believe me, I am much more eager than you are, but we'll begin our conversation when the other person I invited for the talk has arrived. Till then why don't you order something for yourself?" She waved her hand for the waiter, who, in a blink of an eye, appeared at our table.

I would have denied ordering, but my dry throat was shouting for something chilled, so I ended up ordering strawberry lemonade. Rian, on the other hand, ordered hot coffee which had me wondering how could she drink the hot liquid in this burning summer.

Just when the waiter left, an oddly familiar voice alerted my senses making the sirens play inside my head.

"I apologize for my lateness; had to drive through heavy traffic."

Good god, not him. Not him!

"Oh, that's fine, you aren't that late." Rian stood up again and I too raised my head to look at him.

Had Rian been waiting for him? Or could he have been following me?

He smiled at Rian when she introduced herself to him. "Well, I'd be glad to have a gorgeous client like you."

Client?

Rian, who seemed to be a trained compliment acceptor, giggled. "Aren't you a charmer?"

"I have been told that a few times." He winked at her and when his gaze landed on me, his smile broadened as if he had received an early Christmas gift.