Chapter-13

Kian Turner

Her gaze fixed on me, a frown etched on her forehead, she tried to remember me as I casually strolled towards her with a knowing smile on my face. She had grown more beautiful and mature since the last time I saw her. Her blonde hair was now a few tones darker and longer. Honestly, I never thought I would meet her ever again after our breakup.

With my hands in my pockets, I stopped a hand distance from her, waiting for her to remember me. Like c'mon, I ain't the one to be forgotten.

Her eyes roamed all over my face, then wandered down to my body. Since she was talking too much time, I decided to start first.

"Oh, come on, don't tell me you don't remember me. We have spent a lot of time together."

As though understanding hit her hard, she gasped and questioned. "Kian?"

"Well, duh." I beamed and almost instantly I was enveloped in a bone-crushing hug, which made me laugh.

"Oh my god, where have you been? You've changed a lot." She squealed and pulling away, she asked. "Do you know for how many days I looked for you? I went to your home, but your parents didn't know about you either. You vanished into thin air."

"After our mutual breakup, I left San Francisco to live the life I always wanted." I shrugged.

"So, do I call you Advocate Gemma Hills now?" I asked with a smile.

"A proud lawyer, yes." She squared her shoulders proudly as she grinned.

"What did I tell you? I knew you'd make it." I patted her shoulder and ruffled her hair slightly.

She was my first and last ever girlfriend. We met in high school and became high school sweethearts almost instantly. We even went to the same college to pursue the same course, Law—a course my parents wanted me to have a degree in. But I didn't want that. That's why I dropped college in my freshman year and left without informing anyone as they would have stopped me from leaving.

Gemma and I had several arguments regarding my decision because ever since we were in high school, we had dreamt of a life together with a high-profile, renowned job. Like every teenager does. But my ambitions changed as I grew up and that didn't entice Gemma and her parents. They thought I would not be able to make a living, but here I was, although earning less, I fulfilled the promises I made to myself. It was my life after all and I was beyond happy.

Honestly, yes, I was heartbroken at the time when Gemma told me she couldn't understand me anymore and would not be able to wait for me until I had achieved what I wanted. I had thought she was the one for me, she would be by my side forever. Guess, I was wrong. She was uncertain of my ambitions. She couldn't invest her trust in me; she was doubtful. And I took it as a challenge to transform myself.

My decision for my growth made both of us realize that we weren't made for each other. We ended our relationship with mutual understanding.

"So, what about you? Where have you been? Did you make it?" She asked doubtfully, apprehension of hearing anything adverse could be seen on her face.

"I...have been to places. Been traveling the world and yes, I made it." I grinned proudly, telling her I achieved what I aimed for. It was selfish of me, but somewhere inside, I wanted her to feel guilty for what she did. If only she had waited. However, it was not up for discussion anymore.

"Oh, great." Her facial expressions changed to satisfactory ones. She then tapped my bicep. "And look at you, you have grown muscles. You have turned into a handsome hunk." She laughed.

"Yeah, I have." I laughed as I flexed my muscles. "Anyway, what are you doing here?" I asked.

"Oh, I am here to attend my best friend, Renee's wedding." She answered. "What about you? What are you doing here? You had left San Francisco, what brought you back?" She inquired curiously.