Chapter-20

Aura Finley

"Don't you think I deserve an award for being precise with the prediction?"

I rolled my eyes so hard I saw my brain. He would never leave a chance to make me roll my eyes. If this continued the same way, I'd be left with pinwheel eyes.

"Yeah, whatever!" I scoffed as I made my way out of the cabin house. Since Kian succeeded in earning a permitted date, I replaced my uniform with a pair of shorts and a t-shirt because Kian asked me to dress that way. He had something planned for our outing. I completed the look with white sneakers and one of the essentials, my sling bag.

And since after a very long time I was going out for relaxation, that too a mock date, I was overly enthusiastic. I was looking forward to spending alone, quality time with Kian. 

"Anyway, why are you carrying this huge bag with you?" I questioned him as we walked side by side. He carried a traveler's bag on his back.

"Oh, this." He grinned and jumped before me, causing me to stop short in my track. "Cheesesteak, this is the only essential commodity I carry with me whenever I go out, may it be for hours. Because I tend to slip anywhere for adventure."

My eyes turned wide. "Kian..." I called out his name with suspicion. "Where are we going to?"

His grin widened. "You'll know soon. Just be prepared to give in to my demands." He winked and reaching for my face, he cupped it and pecked my lips.

Heat rose to my face and I roamed my eyes everywhere, making sure no one saw us. "Are you nuts? You can't kiss me in broad daylight that too in open!" I chided him.

"Whatever I do, I do it fearlessly. Now, C'mon, gotta leave. Have a lot to do tonight." With that, he turned and began walking.  I ran after him.

Just when we were about to sit in Zara's car, Ezra called for me. He asked me to come aside. I stepped aside not before giving Kian an assuring look.

"Aura, I may sound harsh and absurd but the truth is I don't trust him with you." Ezra's blunt confession left me flabbergasted. I had already discerned with his attitude that he was jealous of Kian, but he went way too far.

"Ezra, I know where this is coming from." I decided to be blunt, and to the point as well. I did not need to hide what I felt. Furthermore, it was I who would decide for myself.

"I trust him." I let out confidently, leaving no room for argument.

His face dropped and he clenched his jaw, however, he did not utter a word. I sighed, feeling bad for him even though I had already warned him not to have his hopes high.

"Ezra." My voice came out softer this time. "Don't take it the wrong way. I'm sure you'll find a better girl than me."

He let out a humorless chuckle. "We'll see about that. For now, I still am not losing hope." He took a step back and I bit the inside of my cheek in frustration, wondering why wouldn't he give up on me when I had given him multiple signs of disinterest. Just what material was he made of?

"Anyway, call me if you feel uncomfortable with him. I'll bring you back." Before I could say anything, he turned on his heels and walked away.

I let out an exasperated sigh and walked back to Kian, only to find him whispering something to Gemma, who had a faint scowl on her face. What could he have been telling her that made her scowl?

When I approached them, Gemma chuckled nervously and waving at me, dashed away. Weird.

"What was that?" I inquired, frowning.