Chapter Seven: Respect

When we got to our first class of the day, I couldn't help but look around in awe. And yes, maybe its stupid to be so excited about something that's so normal to most people, but I've never encountered this before! I've never gotten to sit in a real classroom with real desks and other students my age learning at the same time. I smiled. 

"Ms. Cartier," I turned around to see a woman standing at the front of the room with her red-hair twisted into a bun, "Welcome to Francoise Dupont! I'm Mrs. Bustier, This will be your literature class."

"Thank you! Its a pleasure to meet you." She raised her eyebrows.

"Where are you from again? Your French is impeccable!" 

"Well I'm kind of from all over the place, but I don't originate from here. My father did, hence 'Cartier', but this is my first time ever being in France," I answered, "Due to my family travelling so much, however I speak several languages."

This was a lie, obviously. I had just grown up with a string of very expensive tutors that trained me to be fluent in French, Latin, English, Mandarin, Spanish, German, and of course, Estourian, though they didn't really need to teach me that one, since I grew up with it.

"Well, that is very impressive," She said, "Let's see..." She looked out over the classroom, presumably searching for an empty seat, "I'm afraid the only seat open is in the very back, and you'll be on your own. Is that alright?"

"Yes, that is perfectly fine-" 

"And who on Earth is this?!" My reply was cut off by a shrill voice screaming into the classroom. I looked up to see a Blonde girl standing there, her arms crossed as she looked at me with calculating blue eyes. A girl with short red-hair held back with a blue headband stood by her side.

"Chloe, this is Eloise Cartier. She's going to be studying here with us while she's staying in Paris." Mrs. Bustier told her. She narrowed her eyes at me, looking me up and down. 

"I guess you're not completely unfortunate looking," She sneered, "Just do me a favor and stay out of my way." I nodded.

"Pleasure to meet you too." I said dryly, walking up to the back of the class room and sitting down at the only empty desk. Adrien glanced up at me before turning around and raising his hand. 

"Yes, Adrien?" She asked.

"Would it be alright if I switched seats for a while and sat with Eloise? Just in case she has any questions." Mrs. Bustier smiled.

"I think that's a wonderful idea. Thank you, Adrien." He stood up, grabbing his things and following me to the back, sitting down beside me with a smile on his face. I smiled back, facing forward again to note the array of reactions spread throughout the classroom.

Chloe was glaring daggers at me while the rest of the class just seemed mildly interested. Marinette on the other hand looked...worried. Why would she be worried about Adrien sitting beside me. I met her eyes and they widened in shock, quickly turning around to utter something to Alya. 

"Everything ok?" Adrien asked, his eyes travelling to my furrowed eyebrows. I nodded, tearing my eyes away from the classroom to look at him.

"Yeah, I'm just...observing. Trying to get a feel for the atmosphere I guess." He nodded.

"Ok. Have you come to any conclusions?" I took one last look at the classroom, and it seemed by now everyone was re-focused on the class at hand.

"Not yet. I'll get back to you." He nodded again, turning his attention to the tablet that sat on the desk in front of him.