Chapter Nine: Midnight Meetings

~~~Adrien~~~

After the photo shoot, Eloise and I went home, ate dinner, and did our homework together. I really like Eloise so far. She's really cool, and she seems to have this crazy talent for knowing exactly what to say and do at any given moment.

She reminds me a lot of Ladybug in that way.

After we finished our homework, I "went to bed", but in reality I just hung out in my room until 11:45, and then it was time to transform and head over to the Mayor's office.

The Mayor contacted Ladybug and said that he got a call about a high profile individual who was visiting Paris. I guess they want us to meet with said person so that we can protect them if we need to. I just wish I knew who it was. Oh well, I'll find out soon enough.

I landed with my usual cat-like grace in front of City Hall, making my way into the building and toward Mayor Bourgeois' office. Ladybug was already there when I arrives.

"Good evening, bugaboo." I greeted, stepping up beside her. She responded with an annoyed look before smiling at me.

"Hello, Kitty."

"So, milady...care to tell me why we're here? Who is this 'high-profile purrson' everyone is being so discreet about?"

"Its the Princess of Estoura," she whispered, "The King's only daughter. Apparently she's next in line for the throne, so they've sent her here to protect her. They want us to play a part in that."

"A purrincess you say? You don't see many of those anymore." She shot me a look.

"Please take this seriously, Chat Noir. This poor girl's life could be at stake."

"Relax bugaboo. You know I take things seriously in my own way." I reasoned.

"Yes, well this is royalty we're dealing with here, so I want you to be on your best behavior." 

"I purromise." She shot me a look, but before she could say anything else, the doors to the Mayor's office opened and he stepped inside. I could see a glimpse of a head hidden behind him, but the Mayor's large body kept me from seeing much else. 

"Ladybug, Chat Noir, thank you so much for being here this evening. I'm sorry its so late, but we wanted to make sure that we wouldn't be followed."

"Of course Mr. Mayor. We are happy to help." Ladybug said politely.

"I knew you would be. May I introduce the reason for our meeting tonight, Princess Eloisa Genevieve Marietta VonHagen, the crown princess of Estoura." He stepped to the side, and my eyes widened as the Princess came into view.

The Princess of Estoura, who was none other...than Eloise Cartier, the girl I had just spent all day with.

"Its a pleasure to meet you," She said politely, glancing between us, "But in Paris, you may call me Eloise."

"The pleasure is all ours your majesty." I stepped forward, bowing deeply and kissing the back of her hand once the initial shock wore off. Eloise is a Princess? Well that explains her people skills.

"Uh, feel free to ignore him," Ladybug said, finally speaking up, "Ladybug and Chat Noir at your service, your majesty." She did a little curtsey.

"The bowing and 'your majesty' stuff is really unnecessary. While I'm here, I'm just a normal teenager." She said gracefully, reaching up and tucking her hair behind her ear. That also explains why she looked so different last night as opposed to today. My father probably made her over to make it more difficult to recognize her.

"When it comes to your protection, there's no one better than Ladybug and Chat Noir, I assure you." The mayor assured her. 

"I believe it." She answered, her eyes coming to land on me. There was something unnerving about the look in her eyes. It was if she was looking straight though my mask and into my true identity which resided beneath. She narrowed them slightly, turning her head to the side and watching me curiously. Ironically enough, the small movement reminded me of a cat. 

"So how is all of this going to work exactly? What does the King want us to do?" I asked, leaning on my stick and crossing one leg over the other. 

"Well for starters, it would probably be good for the Princess to have some way of contacting you." The Mayor suggested.

"Luckily, I thought of that," Ladybug said. She reached into a bag, which I just now noticed was strapped to her hip, and pulled out three small objects, "Here, this is a necklace, so that you can wear it wherever you go," She handed Eloise a black cord with a ladybug pendant on it, "All you have to do is press the button in the center, and..."

Eloise pressed the button and Ladybug opened her hands, holding out two more necklaces that began vibrating in her hands.

"They'll vibrate, and then once we transform, your coordinates will be automatically transferred to our Miraculous phones." Eloise smiled, putting the necklace on and tucking it beneath her shirt. Ladybug handed one of the necklaces to me and I took it, putting it around my own neck. 

"This is perfect. I feel safer already." She said, smiling brightly at both of us. Her eyes lingered slightly longer on me, and I could sense a hint of suspicious curiosity in them. It put me on edge. 

"Well on that note, I think we're good to go! We should get to our patrol, Ladybug." I urged, not wanting to be under her questioning gaze any longer.

"Not quite yet, Chat Noir. Eloise is our responsibility now. We need to ensure that she'll make it home safely." Ladybug argued. 

"Right, well uh...how about you take her home and I'll get a head start? We can catch up later." I suggested. She narrowed her eyes at me.

"What's the rush, kitty? Normally you would be itching to escort the pretty girl home so you could show off." I sighed. Ladybug knows me too well, and is too smart to see past my discomfort. 

"Is there a problem Chat Noir?" Eloise joined in. "Come on, I don't bite."  I laughed nervously as she smiled confidently, and for some reason the small gesture made my head feel fuzzy. 

"Besides, if there is an Akuma, its probably better that I'm first on the scene, seeing as I'm the only one who can destroy it," Ladybug reasoned, moving behind me and pushing me towards Eloise. I stopped, going completely stiff, but this didn't hinder her at all, so I just scooted closer to her on my heels until I came to a stop in front of her. She smiled at me. "You've got this one, Cat." 

"Right," I laughed nervously again, rubbing the back of my neck, "Um...where to your majesty?" 

"Gabriel Agreste's home," She said quietly, inching towards me, "I'd tell you the address but...I think you already know it." My eyes widened.

"W-what do you mean? Why do you say that?" I questioned, my heart rate quickening. Oh no...how could this be happening?! She's been here less than a day, and she's already figured out my secret identity! I don't know what I said or what I did-"

"I mean, he's kind of famous. And you've obviously been in Paris a lot longer than I have." She answered, causing me to pause my mini freak-out.

Right...obviously.

"Y-yeah! Of course I know where that is." I grabbed her hand, dragging her over to one of the windows and opening it before wrapping an arm around her waist. "Hang on, Purrincess!" 

I extended my stick, propelling us out of the window and up onto the nearest rooftop. 

~~~Eloise~~~

Ok, Adrien Agreste is definitely Chat Noir. 

I can't be the only one that sees that...right?