Chapter Sixteen: Lady Lion

After leaving Marinette's house, I went back to the Palais de Chaillot. 

I know she said that I didn't do anything wrong, but...I can't help feeling like a failure. I mean, Adrien only likes me because he understands me, and Nino hangs out with me because I hang out with him, but what if that's it? What if growing up sheltered in the royal family has made me incapable of making friends?

"Are you crying, Princess?" Maane asked, poking his head out of my purse. I shook my head, despite reaching up a hand to wipe the tears from my face.

"Its ok, Maane," I said, "I just...I know she said it was fine, but I feel like I messed everything up with Marinette and...after what she said about the other girls being intimidated by me, I'm just worried that...what if I'm just not cut out to have friends?"

"That's not true, Your Majesty!" He dug through my purse, fishing out a tissue and handing it to me. I took it, blowing my nose. "You are the kindest and most personable human that I have ever met!'

"Haven't you only met the other Miraculous holders?" I asked skeptically. 

"Well...yes," I nodded, "But you're still the kindest and most personable among them!"

"Thanks for trying to help Maane, but...I think I just need to be sad right now. I'll get over it and move on eventually." I stated. 

"Eloise?" I jumped, snapping my purse closed and standing up to see Marinette standing behind me.

"Marinette, hey!" I quickly turned away from her, wiping my eyes again. "Did you...forget something?"

"I needed a feather for the hat..." She said, eyeing me suspiciously, "Eloise...did I upset you before?"

"No! No of course not I..." I blew out a breath. "Its nothing, Marinette. Its just-its my problem. Its not your fault."

"Eloise, what's wrong?" She asked. I bit my lip.

"I just...I know what you said before, but I just feel like I screwed everything up back there, and I said something that made you uncomfortable back there, and I don't know if I'm really cut out to have friends and-"

My words were cut off by Marinette's arms wrapping around my neck as she pulled me into a hug. I chuckled tearfully at her response, hugging her back. 

"You didn't do anything wrong," She said, squeezing me tightly, "We are friends, and you're going to make friends with everyone else too, I'll make sure of it. You're so nice...please don't' doubt yourself because I was acting crazy."

She pulled away and I smiled, wiping my tears away yet again.

"I'm sorry," I said sniffing pitifully, "I didn't mean for you to see me like this."

"That's what friends are for, Eloise. We can be vulnerable around each other." She said, putting a hand on my shoulder. I smiled. "I've finished the hat now, so...do you want to come back and help me add the finishing touch?" She held up the feather in her hand. I smiled.

"Thanks for the offer but, I think I'm gonna sit here a while longer." She got a worried look in her eyes. "No, don't worry. I'm ok now. What you said really helped, I just...I just want a minute to compose myself."

"Sure. Take all the time you need. Just text me and let me know what you want to do." She said. I nodded and she looked at me, crushing me in one last quick hug before running away from me at full speed, gripping her Pigeon feather tightly in her hand. My purse popped open and Maane peered out at me again.

"See? You must not be that bad at making friends, My lady." I smiled, shaking my head before looking in the direction she went. The police officer from before came around the corner and began walking away from us when suddenly I heard a loud flapping sound.

I looked up just in time to see a giant clump of Pigeons fly over head. I ducked instinctually when I heard a scream, and looked over to see only a couple of stray Pigeon Feathers were the officer once stood.

"What was that?!" I exclaimed, looking down at Maane.

"Is it time to suit up, Princess?"

"It wouldn't hurt to check." I ran around the corner, finding a secluded area before allowing Maane to fly out of my bag.

"Maane, let's roar!" 

The light covered my body again as I transformed. I don't know if I'll ever get used to it. Once the transformation was complete, I used my staff to launch me onto the roof of the building I had been hiding behind, looking out to see that there was a news crew standing in front of the Eiffel Tower with their cameras trained in on a man in a black, grey, and pink body suit.

"Oh, dreary day for Parisians," HE said, cooing like a Pigeon, "Sorry to ruffle your feathers, but Paris now belongs to the Pigeons, flap-flap." He flapped his arms dramatically before letting out another cooing noise before jumping into the air and letting a group of the birds carry him away.

"Is that the guy we saw before? The Pigeon man?" I asked myself quietly. "I need to find Ladybug and Chat Noir, fast!"

I propelled myself off of the roof of the one building and onto the next, making my way towards the center of the city. I looked over my head to see hundreds of Pigeons flying in airplane formations towards the tower, so I deduced that the Super duo would be heading that direction.

About halfway there I spotted Ladybug on the edge of a roof, looking up at the strange formation of the birds. I propelled myself over the chimney, landing in front of her.

"Its you again!" She exclaimed.

"Yeah, I came to help." I told her, looking up at the Pigeons. "How weird is this?"

"Weirder than weird." She replied.

"Birds of a feather flock together." We both looked up to see Chat Noir, draped dramatically across the tip of the roof. At least, until ne sneezed and rolled down the incline. The only thing that stopped him from rolling off of the roof completely was my foot on his chest. I took it off and he did a kip-up, hopping to his feet. "I'm allergic to feathers."

He sneezed again, causing Ladybug to cringe away from him.

"That's helpful." She said dryly, putting her hands on her hips.

"Tell me about it." He glanced over to me. "Hello there mystery girl. Are you going to tell us your name this time?"

"To be honest, I don't really have one yet," I told him, "This is all kind of new to me."

"We definitely have to talk about this." Ladybug said, pointing a finger at me. "I guess we'll call you...Lady Lion?"

"Sounds good to me." I said with a shrug. Chat Noir went to sneeze again, but lost it halfway through.

"These birds are only part of the problem," He continued, "The Park Keepers in Paris are vanishing without a trace!"

"Its true! I watched one of them get carried off by a group of Pigeons!" I confirmed, looking back at Ladybug. 

"What?" She asked. "We have to track down Mr. Pigeon ASAP."

"Where are we gonna find him?"

"He was on the Eiffel Tower earlier, but he disappeared. He could be anywhere by now." I pointed out, putting my hands on my hips. 

"Hmm," She put a hand on her chin, pondering this, "I don't know where we can find him, but I do know where he can find us!"