Chapter Fourteen: He's Ok

After the events of the Bubbler fight, everything surprisingly went back to normal fairly quickly, with Adrien and I sitting down to dinner alone, as I assumed would be a trend of life in the Agreste household.

"So, does this kind of thing happen a lot? You guys seemed to be pretty well versed in the protocol." I pointed out, pushing a carrot around my plate.

"It happens more often than we'd like, I'll be honest," he answered, "But it helps that we have ladybug and Chat Noir." I nodded. "So what did you think of them?"

"Of Ladybug and Chat Noir?" I clarified. He nodded, taking a bite of his own food. "I mean, they were pretty cool, but I've met them before."

"Really?" He asked. I fought the urge to shoot him an annoyed look and scream 'YOU KNOW THAT I'VE MET YOU ALREADY!' in his face. So I just nodded.

"They're a part of my security detail." I answered instead. 

"So...would you say you're a fan? I mean, Chat Noir is pretty slick." I nodded.

"Yeah, I mean...he's ok." I looked away from him, smiling into my glass.

"Ok? Just ok?" 

"Well what do you want me to say, Adrien? I talked to him one time and watched him fight a villain from afar. That's hardly enough information to make an informed decision," I stated, "You make it sound like you have personal stakes in my opinion of Chat Noir."

"No, not personal, I just...I think he's cool is all. I'm a big fan." I nodded.

"How narcissistic of you." I muttered.

"What?"

"Nothing! I didn't say anything..." I picked up my cup, taking a sip to avoid further conversation. I swallowed hard, putting it down again. "So, what was the final verdict on your birthday?"

"It was probably the best one I've had in a long time. Even with my best friend getting Akumatized and throwing a hostage party." He told me. "Most of that is because of you, you know." I shrugged.

"I'm just doing what I can. I mean, with what your family is doing for me, taking me in like this, helping you have a good birthday is the least I can do." 

"Well, I appreciate it...really." He reached across the table from his seat on the very end,  placing his hand over mine. His fingers wrapped around it and he squeezed. My eyes followed his movements, noting the familiar ring that was now a plain silver, rather than black with a green paw print in the center. I ran my thumb over my own ring, which rested on my opposite hand. 

"No problem." I said, meeting his eyes. His green eyes focused intently on my brown ones, and I was surprised at the level of comfort I found in them. Despite the fact that I hardly know him, I find myself feeling at home when he's around. I feel safe, for some reason. Maybe its just because I know that he's Chat Noir and that he has the ability to protect me but...what if its more than that?

What if Adrien and I share a connection on a deeper level than I realize?

The double doors opened and Nathalie entered the room. We both jumped, Adrien pulling his hand away from me as we both became suddenly very interested in our dinner plates. 

"A birthday present...from your father." She held out a package to him, and I furrowed my eyebrows, distinctly remembering that Marinette was holding an identical one when she ran into me this afternoon.

"Oh...thank you." Adrien said, grateful surprise ringing in his voice. She turned to leave again. "I mean...please say thank you to my father for me." She nodded, leaving the room and he stared down at the present joyfully.

I didn't have the heart to express my doubts about who the present was truly from.

"Oh no," I realized, as he tore off the wrapping paper, "In all of the chaos of today, I forget to get you a birthday present!"

"You've done plenty, Eloise, and you didn't have to do anything. You've already made this a birthday to remember." He opened the box, pulling out a hand-made, light blue scarf. "Wow...my father got me this?"

"Its nice." I said, feeling sorry for the blue haired girl that I was sure had worked tirelessly making it for him. He laughed joyfully, looping it around his neck. I smiled. 

~~~

When we got to school the next day, he was still proudly wearing the scarf, and I was beginning to feel progressively guiltier about not telling Adrien who I suspected it was actually from.

We climbed out of the car, and the first thing I saw was Marinette and Alya standing by watching us. Marinette looked excited. I really wish she didn't. 

"Hey dude." He greeted Nino, the two boys fist-bumping each other.

"Yo, Nice scarf, Adrien! Off the Chain!" Alya shouted. I offered Marinette an apologetic look, causing her to furrow her eyebrows at me in confusion.

"Yeah, can you believe my Dad got this for me?" Her eyes widened in surprise. "Its so awesome! He's gotten me the same lame pen for three years in a row."

"Wow, I guess anyone can change. Adults can be cool when you least expect it." Nino stated.

"Speaking of adults, I know my father said you were a bad influence, but-"

"We're good, Adrien! Don't sweat it! We're buds, always and forever." He threw an arm around him and the two headed up the stairs, and I made my way over to Marinette and Alya.

"I'm so sorry," I told her, "I'm assuming that Adrien's dad left Nathalie in charge of getting the present, and she was going to get in trouble so she just gave him yours. I know I should have said something, but-"

"But, he seemed so happy about his Dad," She answered for me, "You didn't want to spoil it for him. I don't either. Its ok."

"Are you sure?" I asked. She nodded.

"Oh, Marinette," Alya crushed her in a hug, "You're amazing, girl. You know that, right?"

"That is very cool of you, Marinette. Thank you for doing that." I added. I waved at the girls before running to catch up with Adrien and Nino.