Chapter Nineteen: Just Us

"You look happy." Adrien said.

We were currently sitting on his bed in his room with our homework spread out all around us. I hadn't been bale to stop smiling since we left the school. I shrugged.

"I just...I feel like I'm finally getting in with the other girls." I explained, keeping my eyes trained on my physics assignment.

"Does that really surprise you? You're awesome, and so are they, of course they like you."

"I don't know...there for a minute I was scared that because of the way I grew up, I didn't know how to make friends." I said.

"Well, I'm your friend." It was not that I finally looked up at him to find him watching me.

"Yes, but...that's because you get it. I mean, you grew up the same way I did pretty much. You understand what its like."

"It seems we have a lot in common." I bit my lip, nodding. "So how did you get your Miraculous?"

"Its a family Heirloom I guess," I answered, "I guess its passed down to whoever the acting monarch happens to be so that they can protect the citizens as well as rule over them."

"Well, you're going to be great at both." I smiled at this. 

"Thanks. I sure hope so." I looked back down at my assignment again, my hair falling into my face, since Gabriel had practically forbidden me from ever wearing it up. I began writing again, only to freeze when I felt Adrien's fingers push my hair aside, tucking it behind my ear. I froze slightly, lifting my eyes straight ahead before shifting them over to him. He starred at me with wide eyes. 

"I...I don't know why I did that." I smiled at his awkwardness, leaning my head against his shoulder as I laughed. He started laughing too and then after a minute we were both laying down on his bed, laughing hysterically with tears streaming down our face.

I wiped my eyes, letting my laughter die down before turning over onto my side to look at him. He did the same, his laughter fading into a breathy sigh. I smiled, reaching over and lightly combing my fingers through the hair on the side of his head. He froze, his smile falling. 

"There," I said quietly, drawing my hand back, "Now we're even."

"Um..." He sat up, all traces of amusement gone and replaced with a rather serious expression. I furrowed my eyebrows, sitting up too.

"What's wrong?" I asked. He shook his head.

"Nothing is wrong, its just..." He trailed off, turning to look at me again. "When I'm Chat Noir...I'm free to be the person that I don't get to be ordinarily. I get to goof off and make jokes and not really take anything seriously..." I nodded.

"Yeah, I noticed that," I replied, "I have to admit I kind of like seeing you that way. You're funny."

"Well, that's good because...the only other time I have ever felt like that...like I could truly be myself outside of being Chat Noir...is when I'm with you." I raised my eyebrows. 

"Really?" I asked. He nodded. 

"You just understand me, you know? When I'm with you I'm not 'the son who needs to be protected' or 'the Perfect supermodel that can do no wrong', I'm just...me." I shrugged.

"Well, for the record...I like just you." I said. He smiled, but it quickly faded again as he made the decision to reach up and put a hand on the side of my face. My breath caught in my throat, and I looked at him with wide eyes at the surprise gesture. 

"Sometimes...I feel like you might be the only one." He said, his voice barely above a whisper. I shook my head gently.

"I don't think that's true. I just think...I'm the only one who's ever really seen him." He lowered his hand, processing this.