Chapter Eleven: A Day Is What You Make It

We reached the school in record time, and Adrien seemed to be in an increasingly better mood. Or at least he was until lunch time came around and Nino asked the dreaded question.

"Hey, Happy Birthday, man! So, is the party happening?" I winced.

"No. Father doesn't think it would be a good idea." He answered. I put a hand on his arm, offering him a reassuring smile.

"We're still going to make the most out of today though." I reminded him.

"Dude, seriously?" Nino questioned, blowing bubbles as he did so, "Has your dad always been such a downer? You'd think he'd at least remember what it was like to be young and wanna party a little."

"No, I'm pretty sure he was a downer back then, too," Adrien said dejectedly, "Well, at least I tried."

"Its your b-day dude!" Nino pointed out, wrapping an arm around his shoulders. "Insist! You know what? I'm gonna have a little convo with your pops."

"Don't waste your time. He won't change his mind. You know, maybe Eloise is right, maybe I should just try and make the most out of today."

"Yeah! I mean-" My words were cut off by someone crashing into me, knocking me to the ground hard. I winced, looking up to see that Marinette was standing behind me, once again struggling to stay on her feet.

"Oh no...not again!" She cried. I smiled, shaking my head and standing up.

"We have got to stop meeting like this." I told her playfully. She smiled nervously, and I suddenly found something very familiar about her. Her eyes, the blue hair tied into pigtails...ah, ok. So Adrien is Chat Noir and Marinette is Ladybug. Noted. 

"Yeah," She giggled awkwardly, turning to look at the boys, "Hey."

"Hey." Adrien said, giving her a strange look. Does he not know that she's his partner? 

"I uh....I wanted to gift you a make! I mean, Gift you a give I made-I mean-"

"Out of the way!" Chloe appeared beside us, shoving Marinette into me once again, only this time I managed to stop us both from falling to the ground. "Happy Birthday, Adrien." She leapt forward, wrapping her arms around his neck and kissing him on the cheek.

"Yeah, thanks Chloe." He said, awkwardly pushing her away from him.

"Are you ok?" I asked, helping Marinette up onto her feet. So wait, you mean to tell me that when she's not being a superheroine, Ladybug is actually the shyest, most awkward, and clumsiest person I have ever met? The irony...but then again, I guess Chat Noir is a lot more playful than Adrien is day-to-day. 

"I'm fine." She said, defeated as she stood up straight, walking over behind the short wall by the stairs. I furrowed my eyebrows.

"Did you get the gift I sent you?" Chloe continued, in a sickeningly sweet voice.

"Uh...No." Adrien answered.

"What!? Oh those delivery guys! I bet it was too heavy so they had to go back and get another guy to help! Those slackers!" She wrapped her arms around his neck again, "I'll make sure they get it to you by tonight."

She leaned in to kiss him again, and he had to turn his head to avoid her kissing him square on the mouth. She strutted past us after that, humming happily, and we all watched her go. Nino playfully punched his arm and they both chuckled. 

"Are you ok?" Adrien asked, putting a hand on my shoulder. It took me a minute to remember that Marinette had knocked me over a second ago.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Don't worry about me," I said, placing my hand over his, "I'm more worried about you. You should get to have an awesome birthday." He shrugged.