Chapter 24

His spine... His god damn spine ripped out his back. Why the hell would something do this? What the hell did it?

His brain ran back and forth in circles trying to wrap itself around the unsuspecting man's cruel end. It just didn't make sense.

No scent, no tracks, not even a god damn fingerprint was left behind. It's as if the crime was done by fricking magic. Yet even then that would leave behind a scent, better more something to go off, but this.

There was nothing.

Once most of the police and crowding had gone down to just a few, due to police moving them along or some just leaving, I headed down and called for the sheriff who had seen me before walking over. 

"So what had happened?" I asked, maybe I could gather at least a bit of backstory or more information to at least make this a bit easier.

"We don't know yet. There aren't any cameras in this area so even if we wanted we couldn't find footage of what had happened. No one saw it happen either, we asked a few of the locals around here but apparently, all the homes are further up that road" The sheriff pointed towards the road the body had been discovered before pointing left in the direction. "I checked it myself to conform and it was true." The sheriff sighed.

I sighed, running a hand through my hair. Great. 

"However what we did pick up on from the body was there was a kind of struggle. where the victim's throat had been held." the sheriff gestured me over to the body after signalling that I was if him to the other officers. "As you can see here and here" he pointed to the clear purple and blue bruising on the neck of the passed officer. "we can see the hands of his killer, we can tell he was strangled first or at least held that way before the rest of the job was done. Also the crack to his skull" He pointed to the hairline fracture of a crack that ran along the top of the head  "shows that his head was bashed into something, most likely the floor by the blood over there" he pointed to the dried blood stain a few steps away.

"Ok"

"Did you pick up on anything more... Your area of expertise?" The sheriff asked

"Nah, nothing. No traces of a you know anywhere."

"Keep an eye open" I  nodded