A Bond Formed

It had been a few weeks since the whole dragon incident and Hiccup thought he was coping well. Every time he felt the pull of his spirit form Hiccup would wait and turn into a dragon at night and sleep in a tree.

Hiccup hadn't accepted or choose to acknowledge the fact that he was a dragon. He pretended that that part of him just didn't exist.

Today was one of those days where Snotlout and the twins were just being that little extra annoying and antagonistic. They wouldn't stop seeking him out so they could ridicule and make fun of him. Hiccup needed a place to hide.

Hiccup grabbed his bag and journal and set course towards the hidden cove.

When Hiccup reached the hidden cove upper entrance, to his utter shock he saw The Night Fury! Hiccup gasped and ducked down so it wouldn't notice him. He peered over the edge and watched The Night Fury pace around.

Hiccup quickly grabbed his journal and started drawing this dragon. It was then that Hiccup noticed something wrong. Wasn't he supposed to have two tail fins at the end of his tail instead of one?

Hiccup watched as The Night Fury tried to fly out of the cove but failed miserably. It shot at the ground in anger. Why couldn't it fly? Was it because he was missing a tail fin?

Hiccup thought about turning the other way but thought back to the things that The Night Fury did for Hiccup. He technically did owe this dragon even if The Night Fury would never know. Hiccup sucked in a breath and then began to make his way down the cove.

When he walked into the open part of the cove Hiccup could hear a low growl sound from behind him. Hiccup turned to see the Night Fury.

"Human," The Night Fury growled. Hiccup was momentarily taken back by surprise. He had no idea he could understand dragons as a human too!

He reached into his bag and pulled his lunch out which was a medium-sized halibut fish and held it out to the dragon. The Night Fury blinked in surprise at the food offering. The dragon sniffed at the fish.

"Hungry," The dragon said, looking longingly at the fish. Hiccup waved the fish in front of the dragon.

"You can have it," Hiccup said. The Night Fury looked at Hiccup and then back at the fish. The fish was gone from Hiccup's hand in less than two seconds. Hiccup pulled his hands close to his chest in surprise.

The dragon licked his mouth and purred a little bit. At that moment, Hiccup's stomach growled. The dragon's ears perked up at the noise.

"Human is hungry too. They gave their food to me so I'll share with them," The dragon said walking towards Hiccup. Hiccup started backing up until he tripped on a rock and fell on his butt. The dragon persisted until he was up close to Hiccup who had his back against a rock.

Suddenly the dragon began regurgitating and spat half the fish out onto Hiccup's lap. Hiccup made a disgusted face and cringed at the smell of the half-eaten spit-covered fish. Hiccup didn't want to upset the dragon so he reluctantly took a bite out of the fish. The dragon purred.

It was not a pleasant taste whatsoever but Hiccup swallowed non the less. He then held the rest of the fish in front of the dragon.

"You can have the rest," Hiccup said. The dragon gently took the fish from Hiccup's hand and swallowed it.

"Why is this human so nice? He is not like his larger human counterparts," The Night Fury noted, staring at Hiccup. Hiccup remembered the dragon had no idea that Hiccup could understand him. Hiccup gave the dragon a toothy smile.

The dragon started at Hiccup for a moment before trying to replicate Hiccup's smile. Hiccup furrowed his eyebrows in confusion.

"Toothless, huh, I could have sworn you had teeth?" Hiccup said. The dragon opened his mouth up wider and showed Hiccup his teeth appearing and then retracting again.

"Woah, retractable teeth," Hiccup said in awe, growing more comfortable around the dragon. Hiccup didn't know why, but being with this dragon made him feel more at ease. "Your tail, it's missing one of its fins, I'm assuming you can't fly meaning you're trapped in this cove?" Hiccup asked, looking at the dragon.

The dragon looked at his tail sadly.

"Silly nice human. If you understood me then I could tell you," The dragon huffed. Hiccup finally made a decision.

"My name is Hiccup and I do understand you," Hiccup said cautiously. The dragon's ears perked up in shock.

"You understand me?" The dragon asked. Hiccup nodded. "But how?"

"You know how humans have an animal form?" Hiccup asked, twiddling his thumbs in nervousness. The Night Fury nodded. "Well mine is a dragon, which is why I can understand you"

"But how? I didn't think a human could have a dragon as a form," The Night Fury said.

"Well, that's what I thought too," Hiccup said dully. The dragon moved closer to Hiccup and started sniffing him.

"Can I see your form?" The dragon asked, tilting his head. Hiccup tensed up at the request.

"I-I-I don't know," Hiccup said rubbing his arm. The dragon seemed to notice Hiccup's hesitance.

"You're scared," The dragon said, not unkindly. Hiccup sighed and nodded. "I understand scared. During a raid a while ago, I heard a dragon cry out in pain and fear, a fear unlike I've ever heard before. I wanted to go and help them but the queen, who controls all the dragons, told me that a downed dragon is a dead dragon so I shouldn't bother. For the first time, I didn't listen to her and I helped the dragon. I don't regret doing it but it did cost me," The dragon held his tail in between him and Hiccup. "The queen tried to eat me as punishment but I was fast enough that she only got one of my tail fins, I can't fly without both of them so two dragons rescued me before I fell into the queen's pit. They flew me to the cove because I thought the dragon I helped might show up but I was wrong and now I'm stuck in this cove," The Night Fury sighed.

Hiccup felt his heart drop to his stomach. The whole reason that this dragon lost his ability to fly was because of him! It was all his fault. Guilt weld up in Hiccup.

"I want to help you fly again," Hiccup said looking at The Night Fury. The Night Fury tilted his head.

"How?" The dragon asked.

"I can make you a prothetic, and then find a way to make prothetic replicate what your other tail fin is doing, then you should be able to fly again," Hiccup said, gesturing to the dragon's tail. The dragon's ears perked up.

"You can do that?" He asked hopefully. Hiccup nodded.

"I can try, I think I can though," Hiccup said. The dragon blinked.

"You're not like the other humans in your village," The dragon noted. Hiccup chuckled and stood up.

"You don't need to tell me," Hiccup said, looking at the dragon. "Do you have a name?" He asked. The dragon gave a confused look.

"Dragons don't have names like humans, we just usually call each other by breed or appearance," The Night Fury said.

"Well, I have to call you something other than dragon and or The Night Fury," Hiccup said. The dragon did the human equivalent of a shrug.

"What do you have in mind?" The Night Fury questioned. Hiccup thought for a moment before turning to the dragon.

"Toothless. If you don't like it I can think of some-" Hiccup started but was cut off.

"I like it. I am now more than just a Night Fury. I am Toothless," Toothless said proudly. Hiccup smiled happily.

"I'm glad you're happy with it."

"And what do you humans call you?" Toothless asked.

"Humans call me Hiccup," Hiccup said. Toothless nodded.

An air of calmness came between them. Hiccup held his hand out towards Toothless. Toothless seemed hesitant for a moment before gently placing his snout in Hiccup's palm. A bond that could never be broken had formed.