Baited Breath

The morning came fast. To fast.

The day went by faster than she could imagine and now here she was. Standing at the entrance of the kill ring. About to do something no Viking has ever witnessed. She was terrified.

Astrid gripped her axe tighter. A hand placed itself on her shoulder and she turned around to see the worried eyes of Hiccup.

"You sure you want to do this?" Hiccup asked. Astrid nodded.

"You know I have too," She whispered. Hiccup's eyes lowered and nodded.

"I just don't want you to get hurt," He whispered back. She smiled softly.

"It'll be okay," Astrid reassured. Hiccup nodded but didn't say anything more.

"Come on lad, it's time for Astrid to finally kill that beast," Gobber said, walking up to them. Hiccup nodded and followed Gobber out of the pit leaving Astrid all alone. She sighed and turned towards the gate.

Stoick began his speech which Astrid tuned out instead focusing on where Hiccup was. She couldn't see him. Where was he?

Suddenly the gates opened and Astrid had no time left to ponder as she began walking out into the arena. Everything was quiet. Everyone expected her to do one thing today. Kill the dragon. But that wouldn't be happening.

The Monsterous Nightmare cage burst open.

"Foul human," It growled. "You won't kill me."

"I don't plan to," Astrid whispered so only the dragon could hear her. The dragon's eyes widened marginally.

"You are the human dragon that visits us in the night!" The Monsterous Nightmare said. Astrid nodded. She stood straighter and tossed her axe to the ground. The whole crowd gasped in surprise.

"I'm not one of them," She said loudly. Astrid then held her hand out to the Monsterous Nightmare. "I'm your friend," She said softly to the dragon. The Nightmare began approaching her. "Dragons are not monsters, they are not mindless. They are kind gentle creatures," Astrid yelled to the crowd. "We don't have to fight them!"

"STOP THE FIGHT!" Stoick yelled and smashed his hammer against the metal. The loud noise and vibrations cause the Monsterous Nightmare's eyes to pin and she knew that this was about to go very wrong because a spooked dragon in a small confined space only leads to disaster.

The dragon reared back and barely missed biting her hand. She let out a surprised yelp as it set itself on fire. Astrid ran around the ring desperately trying to not get killed at the hands of the poor dragon.

Astrid suddenly found herself backed up into a corner. She prayed that Hiccup would forgive her. She closed her eyes expecting to be hit by the dragon but heard it screeching in surprise and being pushed into the smoke it created by something.

Astrid watched from her corner as two dragons fought each other. After fighting for a while longer the Monsterous Nightmare retreated back to its cage. The smoke cleared and revealed a very angry Hiccup Haddock in his Night Fury form. She had never seen him look so angry before.

Vikings began pouring into all sides of the kill ring.

Hiccup made eye contact with Astrid and ran at her. She gasped as he threw her onto his back and began avoiding all the angry Vikings that were trying to attack them.

Hiccup climbed to the top of the ring and stood there. No Viking could get up leaving them to stare angrily at Hiccup and Astrid. Stoick was the first to speak.

"You've thrown your lot in with them!" Stoick yelled.

"It isn't their fault! They don't want to attack and raid villages they're being controlled by the queen on their island!" Astrid yelled back. Stoick's eyes widened marginally.

"Their island? So you've been to the nest?" Stoick asked. Astrid briefly looked at Hiccup.

"No-no I haven't. Only a dragon can find the nest," Astrid said. Something on Stoick's face clicked. Her heart dropped. She knew exactly what he was thinking. "Stoick! You have no idea what you're up against it's like nothing you've ever seen!"

"Get them!" Stoick yelled. Vikings began trying to climb up to them and Astrid knew it was time to go and so did Hiccup. In one flap, Hiccup had taken to the skies with Astrid holding on tightly to his neck.

_______________________________________________________

Hiccup watched as his father's ship sailed away to certain doom. They took the Terrible Terror to use as a guide. Astrid approached slowly from behind.

"This is a mess," He said.

"Yep, this did not go to plan," Astrid responded.

"We need to stop them," Hiccup said, turning to look at her. Astrid gave him an incredulous look.

"How? There's only two of us!" Astrid exclaimed.

"No, there's actually six of us!" A voice cut in. Hiccup and Astrid turned to see Snotlout, Fishlegs, and the twins.

"We want to help," Fishlegs clarified. Hiccup and Astrid looked at each other and then back at the group.

"You do realize that the queen is the size of a small mountain right?" Hiccup asked. Snotlout and Fishlehg's eyes widened but the twins just grinned like maniacs.

"That sounds amazing!" Tuffnut exclaimed. "Do we get our own dragons like Astrid does?"

"Where is your dragon anyways, Astrid?" Ruffnut asked. Fishlegs nodded.

"I've never seen a Night Fury up close before!" Fishlegs squealed.

"Wait-wait-wait. You actually want to get up close to a dragon!?" Hiccup asked. The whole group nodded eagerly. Astrid looked at Hiccup nervously, having a silent conversation. Hiccup nodded at her.

"I'll go get him," Hiccup said and walked off.

Hiccup couldn't believe he was about to walk up to a bunch of teen Vikings in his dragon form. This could go so bad yet he was still doing it.

As soon as he was out of sight, Hiccup let the comforting magic swirl around him, and the next thing he knew he was a dragon again.

Hiccup took a deep breath and slowly walked towards the docs.

The first person to see him was Astrid who gave him a reassuring smile. Fishlegs was the second to notice and he let out a nervous but excited squeal.

"Oh, Thor! Night Furies look so cool!" Fishlegs yelled.

"Think of all the destruction!" The twins exclaimed.

"I think I like Monsterous Nightmares better," Snotlout shrugged.

"No way Zipplebacks are way cooler!" The twins yelled. Fishlegs turned to look at them.

"Uh, Gronkles are way better than Monsterous Nightmares and Zipplebacks for many reasons," Fishlegs said factually.

Astrid and Hiccup listened to the group argue about which dragon was better. Unperturbed by the fact there was a Night Fury in front of them. Hiccup felt hope rising in his chest. They genuinely wanted to help. Hiccup then had an idea.

Hiccup turned back into a human in front of them. They all stared at him with shocked expressions and before one of them could speak he raised his hand up in a silent gesture.

"I'll explain after we defeat the queen. But right now I think it's best if we get you all situated with dragons so we can get to the nest okay?" Hiccup asked. The group nodded silently and they all began heading towards the kill ring.

"I hope you know what you're doing," Astrid whispered. Hiccup shrugged.

"It's a crazy idea but I think it just might work," Hiccup smiled.