Darkness

"Toothless I brought some fish if you're hungry!" Hiccup called into the cove, looking around for his friend.

He was met with silence.

"Toothless?" Hiccup called out again. No answer. Hiccup shrugged to himself, maybe Toothless was taking an afternoon flight somewhere in the woods. He could wait. Hiccup placed his satchel by a rock and transformed into a dragon.

He doodled in the dirt, napped, sunbathed, it had been hours and Toothless had still yet to appear. Now he was getting worried. Toothless wouldn't be gone for so long, right?

When it had gone night, Hiccup headed home, hoping Toothless would be in the cove the next day.

He wasn't.

Every morning and every evening Hiccup would go to the cove, hoping Toothless would come back and every time he was distraught at the fact that Toothless was nowhere to be seen.

It had been a month, something had to be wrong. Toothless wouldn't just up and leave him with no explanation. Right? He needed to find Toothless.

Maybe the queen had captured him again and now Toothless was stuck under her control!

It was night and a dragon raid was currently happening, this would be the perfect opportunity to look for Toothless among the group of dragons and if he couldn't find Toothless, then he was going to follow the dragons straight to the nest. Yes, it was a horrible idea but it was the only one he had.

Hiccup needed to find his best friend!

Hiccup was glad he was a night fury, it was next to impossible for someone to spot him flying in the pitch-black sky.

Hiccup scanned the crowds of dragons attacking the Vikings who were attacking back just as fiercely. He saw his father in lion form defending the sheep and Gobber running towards a Nadder with his hammer hand. He then noticed Astrid who was standing by the forge, staring wide-eyed at the sky. He wasn't close enough to see where she was looking though but it somewhere up.

There was still no sign of Toothless, not even a plasma blast. It looks like he was going to head to the nest. If Toothless was there then it would be worth it. The dragon raid was just wrapping up and he could see dragons fly out to sea with sheep and fish in their claws. The day was beginning to break and the sun was slowly rising.

Hiccup was about to turn towards where the dragons were heading but suddenly, he felt rope and metal painfully wrap around him and encase his wings. He couldn't move! The rope cut through his scaled flesh as he tried to fight it, the ground was approaching rapidly and Hiccup couldn't escape from his prison.

He let out a roar of fear and pain as his body met the trees.

The next thing Hiccup knew was total darkness.