Chapter 5 - Are We Okay?

School was starting in less than 2 weeks while Katy's due date came closer and closer. Officially being put on bed rest Maya started to work more and more hours at the bakery trying to shift her attention away from Josh and what had happened. Finding out he was also going crazy she knew she had to go and talk to him eventually not knowing if it would be the best decision. Exhaling Maya looked how the clock slowly ticked along as she grabbed her handbag heading to her car. Climbing in she drove to NYU as she looked how people walked past her. Probably wondering what a girl her age was looking at a university for nobody bothered asking as Maya just went up with the stairs knocking on the door.

"Maya, hey. What you doing here?"

"Hey, Brad. I came to see Josh. Heard he's not doing so well," Maya said.

"Come in," Brad said as Maya weng into the college dorm seeing the mess that was made.

Looking around Brad exhaled. Maya knew exactly what was going on lately with Josh but she didn't know how bad it truly was. Looking at the time it revealed to be 3:30 on a Wednesday afternoon while it didn't look like much was going on at all at the apartment. Seeing as Josh came out from the hallway Maya exhaled as Brad went out of the door.

"You going to tell me what's going on with you or should I guess?" Maya asked as Josh rolled his eyes pouring coffee into muggs.

"Okay fine. Be like that then. Cory called," Maya said as Josh handed her a cup.

"Why? To complain about London being colder than New York?" Josh asked as Maya put the cup down on the coffee table going through her handbag.

"Your phone's on the..."

"I'm not looking for my phone. Here," Maya said taking out a bottle of Aspirin.

"Take two. Will help with your headache," Maya said as Josh looked at her taking the bottle.

"Why... How did you..."

"Since when do you party and drink like there's no tomorrow?" Maya asked as Josh looked at her.

"Jack saw you at a bar for the third night in a row and instead of going to Shawn he decided to come to me so what's going on?" Maya asked.

"Nothing. Thanks," Josh said immediately swallowing two tablets.

"It's not nothing. Josh you got discharged three weeks ago and you're already partying like everyone is against you and you're on your own so don't lie. Lies haven't gotten far with either with us," Maya said.

"Are we okay?" Josh asked as Maya looked at him knowing what it was about.

Exhaling she raked her fingers through her blonde hair as she slowly tried to think what to tell him unsure if he would like what she had to say.

"I'm just scared, okay? I've lost a lot of people and I don't want to lose anymore of them," Maya said.

"What makes you think you're going to lose someone?" Josh asked as Maya exhaled.

"I got close to my dad, he left. I got close to Riley and her parents and brother and they left. I..."

"You're afraid that I'm just going to kiss you and leave. Maya I'm not going to do that. I'll never dream about it. I don't want to hurt you. I know you find difficulty in trusting people. I know that. But I'm not going to make it more difficult for you by doing something like that and just taking off on you. I'm not that kind of guy, "Josh said as he laid his hand on Maya's.

"I'm going to be here regardless what happens," Josh said as Maya exhaled.

"What about what your parents want?" Maya asked as Josh knew what she was talking about.

"Shawn told you about the business. I'm busy with my degree in Journalism. I don't want to do anything with the business and my parents don't want to accept that. But I'm not going to get intimidated by that. I'm staying right where I am. I'm not going to do something irresponsible which could lead to losing you. I need you to trust me and to believe me. Because that's all that matters. That you trust me," Josh said.

"I want to so badly, Josh. I do," Maya said as Josh could hear the tears in her voice.

"You know me better than anyone else you saw how I was when they left. I don't..." Maya said as she stopped trying to not lose herself as the tears started to flow down her face.

"I don't want that again. I can't go through losing another person that I love. I can't go through that again. I can't," Maya said as Josh looked at her.

Knowing what she meant he smiled pulling her close into him as she laid her head on his chest while he stroke over her hair. Gently kissing her against her head tears continued to run down her face as he held he tight.

"You're not going to lose me. Never. You'll never have to go through losing me," Josh said.

Smiling she gently melted as both she and Josh fell asleep laying on each other arms wrapped around the other.