Chapter Thirteen ; A heavenly way to die

Emerald Waters glisten against sparkling sand, all the books and imagination Anne could muster never would have prepared her for the paradise that became her.

Ruby's lake house wasn't the modest get away home it had been described to be, it was nothing short of a castle. Upon entry Anne could feel her experience being turned into a montage of glittery clips coupled with a song surely written by Taylor Swift.

The group of kids stood in awe of their home for the next few days. A tradition of the Gillis Ball was to house the Lavendish Students of age, this was the first time they all were. Adorning Cary on cases and smiles that stretched to either end of their face, the kids were shown to their rooms.

It was surely a daze, Anne couldn't imagine such a luxurious experience, the idea of having a vacation home was entirely foreign but having a vacation castle was unearthly.

When Ruby directed her to a room at the end of one of the many halls, Anne was enthralled to find two queen sized beds finished with green and gold trim and a gargantuan window to the right.

Anne couldn't envision anything better, a beautiful room and her beautiful best friend Diana to share it with.

"This shit is elegant."
She heaved, feeling almost nauseous from the excitement churning inside her.

"This must be how it feels to go to Hogwarts"
Diana responded, tracing her fingertips over the fine craftsmanship of the handmade bed-side tables.

"You like Harry Potter?"
Anne asked, surprised to see such a sophisticated girl dabble with Novels about Magic.

"I'm a classified Genius who's spent her entire life locked away in a boarding school with other 'geniuses'"
She she shot back excitedly.

"Fair enough, you do give off major hufflepuff vibes."
Anne added nonchalantly.

"Excuse you, proud Ravenclaw, I assume the same of you?"

"Slytherin any day of the week."
Anne responded proudly , crossing her arms.

"You do have that power hungry thing going for you."
Said Diana, Tilting her head.

Their conversation was interrupted by Cole bursting in the room and dragging them down the hall.

When all the kids were distracted by one of Ruby's maids giving the grand tour, Anne found the perfect time to sneak away, She was dying for a cigarette.

She managed to run along almost entirely unnoticed, except for Gilbert, who followed behind her.

Once Anne found the back door and subsequently and willow tree to hide under, she lit up.

"Wow Shirley, didn't know you were such a bad girl."
Gilbert started, drawing her attention and leaning against the tree beside her.

"Good Girls are Bad girls who haven't been caught."
She fired sarcastically.

"You really ought to leave that reference in 2014, leave your nicotine addiction there too."
He laughed.

She giggled and shook her head playfully.

"Want one?"
She asked, pulling out her pack.

He stepped back dramatically gasping, exasperated.

"Fair enough, you couldn't handle it anyways."
She taunted, poking at his masculinity.

Gilbert debated her offer for a moment, deciding his pride was more important than his health, he took a drag.