𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟔

"all right, banks. let' see what you got, baby. bring it up," goldberg said. everyone was lined up, ready to shoot against goldberg. adam was up first, and made it past goldberg. the next person to go was guy who made it as well. reverie was up after guy and easily made it.

      "goldberg. when was the last time you practiced?" coach orion asked.

      "well, uh, we don't really practice, per se. we either play or play around. you know, have fun," goldberg said while walking towards coach. reverie just rolled her eyes and went to shoot against julie instead. 

      reverie skated towards julie and shot right in between her legs. reverie was the first of the group to make it against her. reverie and julie high-fived each other and they continued on practicing. 

      after they were finished, orion sent them into the locker room. reverie had been keeping up with her training over the off season, so she was feeling great when practice ended, however, most people were not.

      "someone get a shovel and bury me right here," goldberg exclaimed dramatically while throwing off his gear. reverie had to resist the urge to yell at him. he was really starting to get on her nerves that day.

      "i will teach you to play like what? starts with a 'w'" charlie mocked. reverie and adam looked to each other, wondering when charlie would learn to keep his mouth shut.

      "wussies," averman responded. reverie tuned out he friends, really hoping they would stop, but they just continued to mock coach. reverie actually liked coach and thought he was actually a really good coach.

      "guys, stop. i actually like coach orion. i think he's gonna be a good change for us," reverie said. everyone besides adam looked at her incredulously. coach orion walked in before anyone could respond any further. 

      "eden hall academy requires you to maintain a 'c' average to compete. i believe that's a bad rule. i don't want any 'c' players on my team. i want b's or better or you're going to be riding the pine pony. now, you got fifteen minutes after each practice to clear this locker room. you got homework to do. one more thing. stay clear of varsity until we play them in the j.v. - varsity showdown. you got that?" coach orion asked. he then left the locker room and slammed the door.

      "you still like him?" charlie asked reverie with a nasty tone.

      "actually, i do," reverie responded. the two glared at each other.

      "hey, you guys, look. he posted our positions," connie said, then walked over to the bulletin board where the paper was posted.

      "i do not believe this. i play left side, not right," fulton exclaimed in shock. reverie was now curious to see where she got placed and walked over with adam.

      "third line! man, that's a major diss," russ said then walked away. reverie scanned the paper and saw herself under first line. she was actually extremely happy about making first line, center.

      "i'm not even posted!" adam said. reverie looked up at him in shock and he looked a little disappointed.

      "yes, you are. adam banks, third line, center. varsity?" connie told him. reverie's eyes widened in shock. she was happy that adam got to play varsity, but she was also a little upset, since she can only really spend time with him during hockey and now they don't even have that together.

      "i made varsity?" adam asked, confused. he then walked back to where his stuff was and sat down. reverie sat next to him and gave him a comforting smile. 

      "that's the great thing about being goalie. you always know where you stand. i just mind my business, take my place between the pipes," goldberg said. reverie rolled her eyes at him. as much as she loved goldberg, he wasn't better than julie when it came down to it. the only reason julie didn't get to play as much at the goodwill games was because bombay barely gave her a chance to.

      "you're riding the pine pony, pal. julie's one. you're two," averman explained. goldberg ran over to the sheet and started whining. 

      "who's captain tibid?" dwayne asked. 

      "no, it's to be determined. it means he hasn't picked a captain yet," guy explained. everyone looked to charlie, sympathetically. as much as reverie was okay with the changes happening, she didn't really think anyone else was fit to be captain. charlie was the natural leader of the group.

      reverie quickly got changed and ready to leave. she packed up the rest of her things and waited for adam to be done, before they both left the locker room together. it was silent for a couple minutes, neither of them knowing what to say.

      "how are we going to spend time together if i'm on varsity and you're on j.v.? we have so much homework to do after practice and we have two classes together," adam said sadly. reverie stopped him and pulled him into a hug. he placed his chin on top of her head, while she buried her head in his chest.

      "we will figure it out, okay? i'm sure we can find some time on the weekends to hang out, just you and me. don't worry about it," reverie said, trying to reassure adam. she could tell that he wasn't completely convinced, but he nodded his head anyways. reverie then broke the hug and they walked back to her dorm together.

      "goodnight, adam. i'm going to go study and do my homework. you are more than welcome to join me if you find that you are struggling," reverie said, leaning in to kiss him. adam let their lips touch for a moment before pulling away.

      "goodnight, rev," adam said. he gave her hand one last squeeze before pulling it away and walking towards his dorm room. 

author's note:

this was so fucking boring to write holy shit. i just kept getting second hand embarrassment for  everyone and i am literally so tired i can't even think. anyways, bye <3