𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟓

reverie boarded onto the bus in her warrior gear, prepared to get to their game. she was hoping charlie would show up. he told her he was going to come back, but she would only believe him when she saw him.

      "callas," orion called off as she got onto the bus. she took an empty seat towards the back and got her phone out. she was about to put in her airpods when she saw charlie get onto the bus.

      "i want to be on the team, coach. i want to play two-way hockey. can i come back?" charlie asked. reverie watching intently, praying orion would let him back on, even after what charlie had said to him.

      "take a seat. we are running late," orion said. charlie ran through the bus and the team whooped and cheered for him. reverie smiled brightly. she was happy she finally got her best friend back. that smile dropped when she saw the crusty old man with the fire ants in his office get on the bus.

      "i almost missed you. coach, you mind if i have a few words with your boys?" he asked.

      "and girls," julie called out. reverie was glad someone corrected him.

      "yes, of course. and girls," he said, weirdly. reverie just rolled her eyes at the man.

      "if you can make it quick, dean. we're running late as it is," orion told him.

      "i'm afraid this is important. we have a board meeting scheduled tomorrow, and, well, you all are on the agenda. we have to think long-term here. what's in your best interest. hard as it is for me personally, because you kids have been a breath of fresh air around here, the board is going to approve the withdrawal of your scholarships. now, you'll be welcome to stay through the end of the semester, but after that, it would be necessary for you to enjoy other educational opportunities," dean explained. reverie's jaw dropped and she felt herself panic. if she left the school, that would mean she would be leaving her brother and his friends. she couldn't do that.

      "dean, i need to have a word with you," orion said. reverie hoped with her full heart that orion could talk some sense into him.

      "i think i've said all i need to say," dean said with an awkward smile.

      "no, now," orion said angrily. both dean and coach orion left the bus and talked outside. the team crowded around, trying to hear what they were saying. reverie sat in her seat, still in shock. she really didn't want to leave the school, even if rick and them were still there.

      the team started to get off the bus, so reverie followed, not wanting to be left behind. they walked out there and saw orion looking pretty glum. 

      "we're just pawns, puppets for the stage show, jesters that enter the king, barnacles on the bottom of-" averman ranted before getting cut off by russ.

      "shut up," russ exclaimed while holding up his palm to averman's face. reverie found it in herself to laugh at the gesture. 

      "coach, is this legal? i mean, don't we have contracts or something?" goldberg asked.

      "i don't know what it is. all i know is that we are going to fight it," orion said. the team nodded their heads in agreement.