𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟗

friday's game came up extremely fast. reverie was extremely nervous because not only would adam be watching, but also her brother and his friends. reverie got all of her gear on and stood out with the team. everyone was talking with each other, but reverie was too nervous to even speak. she just picked at her nails.

      then, the team started to walk out onto the ice. the crowd clapped for them and reverie skated around. the first person she saw was her brother and his friends. she waved up to them and they gave her huge smiles and waved back. then she saw adam sitting with the varsity team. she gave him a small wave and adam just smiled back. she was confused why he didn't wave, but just ignored and continued to warm up.

      "gather around. hustle up!" orion yelled. he put his hand in and the group started quacking. orion made them stop and yell "go team" which reverie was extremely happy about.

      reverie took her spot at the face off and the ref dropped the puck. she quickly got hold of the puck and passed it to averman. averman passed it back to reverie who skated around the other team and scored. orion called her back onto the bench and put russ out there.

      russ used his knucklepuck and scored. reverie sighed when she saw the team celebrating on the ice even though orion had just yelled at them for it. she looked up to where adam was and saw he was not clapping at all. that really confused her because he was normally extremely supportive of the team. 

      orion sent reverie back out onto the ice and she scored two more times before being sent back to the bench. reverie looked over to where julie was and saw her dancing. she couldn't help but laugh at the girl. 

      charlie scored once more at the end of the second period. the score was 9-2 at the beginning of the third period and reverie was put back out onto the ice for the face off. she quickly won and passed it to averman who fell and let the other team get ahold of the puck. the puck was passed back and forth between charlie and dwayne, neither of them passing to reverie who was completely open.

      "charlie! give me the puck," reverie yelled, he continued to ignore her and just skated on. this really pissed reverie off and her brother could tell she was getting angrier from the stands. ace knew this would get bad. then, the other team stole the puck. she knocked down as many players as she could, but they still managed to score. reverie then skated up to charlie.

      "what the fuck, charlie? get your head out of your ass. i was completely open to score and you didn't pass to me," she said pushing him before getting back into the game. no one was passing to her and the team scored once more. orion called her off the ice, knowing she was going to lose it if she didn't get the puck. reverie sat back, hopelessly watching her team screw up the game. she yanked off her helmet and looked to ace. he gestured for her to breath and calm down.

      the game ended and they tied. they managed to let the other team score nine times in the last period. the team walked into the locker room and charlie slammed down his stick. reverie immediately lost it and yelled, "what the fuck was that, charlie? we just needed to play defense. we didn't need anymore points. and not to mention the fact that you wouldn't even fucking pass to me!"

      "hey, listen, i was trying to win it!" charlie yelled back. reverie rolled her eyes.

      "well, mission unaccomplished, charlie," averman responded. reverie stormed back to where her stuff was.

      "we let down. simple as that," guy. said before getting shoved by connie.

      "hey, you let down. i played hard," connie responded. connie and reverie shared a knowing look. they both played hard while the rest of the team choked. 

      "well, what are we playing for anyway? some stupid school? the alumni? warriors?" charlie yelled while taking off his jersey.

      "we get this amazing opportunity to play for an amazing school and you are being a whiny baby about it! we got a full scholarship and all you can do is complain about every single thing. some people don't want to go home, so if you please at least try to fucking listen to coach orion or not complain every two seconds, that would be really fucking great!" reverie had lost her temper and it was being directed at charlie. he stared at her and the whole locker room went silent. coach orion walked in.

      "how long does it take to score a goal?" orion asked. he then threw a puck at the bulletin board, causing a hole to form. "less than a second. that means no lead is safe if you can't play defense. now get this straight! i don't give a damn how many goals you score. i want one number on your mind: xero, as in shutout. you got that?" charlie clenched his jaw at orion's words.

      "practice, tomorrow morning, 5 a.m. got to get up early if you want to hunt goose eggs," orion said, then left the locker room. reverie went to get dressed, but noticed her clothes weren't there. 

      "hey, who took my clothes?" reverie and guy said at the same time. the whole team noticed their clothes were gone and went looking for them. when they opened the shower curtain, they saw everyone's clothes all piled up and soaking wet. reverie went back to her spot and took off her gear, leaving her in a sports bra and spandex shorts. she took her clothes that were soaking wet, grabbed the rest of her stuff, and left the locker room without saying a word to anyone.

      when she got out, she saw ace and his friends waiting for her. they gave her a once over and saw the soaking wet clothes in her hands.

      "what happened to your clothes?" ace asked. reverie shook her head. she thought if she said anything, she would cry. she was just so frustrated with everyone that she could feel her throat tighten.

      "i saw what they did. they wouldn't even give you the puck. it was complete bullshit if you ask me. you were the only one trying," aspen said. reverie just nodded her head again and ace pulled her into a hug. they sat there for a while before reverie finally calmed down enough to speak.

      the group started walking to the courtyard outside to just hang out. the rest of the night, the group joked and laughed, cheering up reverie. she was still in her sports bra and spandex shorts, but ace was nice enough to give her his sweatshirt. aspen and kieran let reverie spread out on their laps and isis played with her hair. it was a sweet ending to a terrible day.

author's note:

hey guys! my math teacher is really annoying! anyways, bye <3