𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟒

the rest of the week leading up to the funeral felt like a blur for reverie. she had been staying with charlie in between school and practice to help him get through the hard time. she slipped on a black dress and got in the car with ace to head to the funeral. 

      they were praying when reverie noticed bombay join. his eyes looked red. reverie knew this must be extremely hard for him. charlie noticed bombay as well and gave him a hard look. reverie rubbed circles into charlie's back. bombay placed a duck jersey onto the casket and that is when charlie left. reverie knew to give him some space especially since she had been smothering him for the past week.

      after the funeral, reverie waited for charlie to come back. as she sat with charlie's mother, she noticed adam walking towards them. her hands immediately got sweaty and her heart started beating fast.

      "hey reverie. can we talk?" adam asked quietly. reverie looked to charlie's mother, silently asking for help.

      "no. there is nothing to talk about and even if there was this is not the time nor the place to do it," reverie explained. adam's face dropped and he nodded his head. his eyes swelled up with tears and he turned around, walking back to where his parents were waiting for him. 

      reverie could not believe he had wanted to talk to her at hans' funeral, out of all places. it was just disrespectful. charlie's mother gave her a knowing look and the both of them sat and waited until charlie eventually came back.

───✱*.。:。✱*.:。✧*.。✰*.:。✧*.。:。*.。✱ ───

      reverie missed out on team bonding with bombay. charlie had texted her to meet them down at the courts, but she couldn't bring herself to go. she knew adam was going to be there and she really just did not think she could possibly be around him. 

      instead, she spent her weekend with her mom and ace. another reason why she didn't go was because it was her dad's birthday and she just needed alone time. as much as she loved the team, it just wasn't the right time for her to be around them.

      "ace! reverie! come downstairs, please. it's time for dinner," their mother yelled from the kitchen. every year since their dad had passed away, their mother made his favorite meal which consisted of cornbread, green bean casserole, and turkey. it was basically thanksgiving day dinner.

      "it smells delicious, mom," reverie said as she walked into the kitchen. she sat down and piled cornbread and some green bean casserole onto her plate. she didn't put turkey on her plate for obvious reasons.

      "dinner looks great, mom. thank you," ace said as he came down the stairs. he gave their mother a kiss on the cheek before sitting down at the table. they all sat in silence for a while. no one wanted to interrupt the peace

      "i got a little something for you guys. i think you will really like it," reverie's mother said while getting up from the table and grabbing something off the counter. she picked up the two necklaces from the counter and handed them to her kids. ace's was in the form of a dog tag and reverie's was a in a teardrop. on the dog tag and teardrop was a fingerprint and on the back had reverie's dad's name.

      reverie's eyes watered and she said, "thank you, mom. i really appreciate this." reverie's mother smiled and pulled out a necklace of her own that matched reverie's. 

      "he would be so proud of the both of you. you have both grown to be beautiful, strong, and independent people," reverie's mother smiled to her children. the rest of the night was filled with a blanket of sadness, but also joy.

author's note:

this was kinda just a filler chapter, nothing special. anyway, bye <3