Chapter Twenty Six - Waking Up

Chapter 26

I'm not happy with this chapter. Eugh. Enjoy anyway xo

ALSO READ THIS STORY BECAUSE IT'S REALLY GOOD AND THE AUTHOR IS AWESOME http://www.wattpad.com/story/3722937-a-dork-able-keaton-stromberg-love-story

I wake up to beeping and white room. I’m in the hospital. Again. I try sitting up but I’m too weak. That’s when I feel it though. The burning sensation in my throat. I close my eyes and try to calm myself down; I feel so uncomfortable, all hot and bothered. I feel a panic rise inside of me so I scramble my hands around my bed until I find the emergency call. I press the button and a doctor and nurse come racing in. I give them a pained expression, “My throat is on fire." Even saying that sends a searing pain through my throat.

The Doctor nods his head, a sad expression on his face, “I know Ara. It will hurt like that at least until tomorrow so try not to talk. You had a severe reaction to the strawberries in that cupcake icing. You went into anaphylactic shock and your throat completely inflamed, we were lucky to get to you in time before your airways completely closed up. You’ve been in a coma while the inflammation in your throat was able to recede, the machine was breathing for you.  It was smart of you to tell Zack to call 911. You’re a very lucky girl Ara although I think it is smart for you to keep your EpiPen on you from now on, just in case. I know you've never needed in the past that's why you never held it with you but I think you should keep it with you at all times."

I nod my head, gesturing a thanks his way. He places a cup of water in front of me, “You should probably drink this. It has a few things in it that will help the swelling in your throat. If you feel you're in even more pain or you feel you can’t breathe, press the call button.”

I nod again and he presses the remote so my bed moves up, making it easier to sip from the liquid. It feels soothing on my throat despite having to force it down with hard gulps. He gives me a sad smile, “I didn’t think I’d see you in here for this Ara. Another broken bone, yeah, but not this. It was a really close call. We didn’t realise you were that severely allergic to strawberries so you’re going to have to be extra careful now.”

Jut like the other times, I nod timidly whilst I sip the clear liquid. He chuckles softly, “I’ll send your visitors in in a minute, I’ll let you have a bit of time to yourself. And I also set up a small pad and pen next to you so you don’t have to talk.”

I feel like I shouldn’t nod but that’s really the only thing I can do to say thank you, so that’s what I do. He manages another small chuckle before leaving me in peace. I sit in my bed sipping my liquid and all I really want to do is sleep. I’m so tired and after all the drama this week, I’m really not up for visitors. I wonder if I could just write on the pad for them to leave. They’re my family, they’ll understand right? I mean I did almost die. I could milk this for all it was worth, couldn’t I?

Yeah, that’s what I think I’m going to do until my Mum comes into my room, her eyes full of tears. Even Noah and Dad looked as if they’d shed a few of their own. I frown at them and grab the pad and pen, ‘have you been crying noah?’. He laughs, “You almost died you dick!”

I scribble something else down, ‘pussy’. He laughs again, “Yeah well I’m over it now and just because you almost died doesn’t mean I’m not afraid to punch you in the arm. It’s still my duty as your brother to do so for being such a numbnuts.”

I roll my eyes at him and turn to Mum who’s absolutely balling her eyes out. I give her a ‘look’ causing Noah to laugh again, “God she’s been in hysterics since we were called. You really gave her a fright. You were in that coma for two days while that machine breathed for you, she thought you were going to freaking die.”