Chapter Twenty Seven - Christmas

Chapter 27

Not really happy with these chapters becuase I've written them really quickly because I decided to splurge and update a billion and one times. Enjoy and don't forget to vote, fan and comment if you want xo

I was still feeling under the weather when Mum and Dad planned to take me up to Washington State, so the 19-hour drive is a real killer. I try to sleep the whole way but with the bumpy and slippery roads, it made it too hard. All I can do was just sit in the back seat and try not to chunder all over everyone. We stop in at a small motel to get some rest and when I touch stationary land, it’s like heaven on my feet. I go straight to bed when I get there and I welcome a proper sleep instantly.

The next day we have a good breakfast and fix a few things up before getting back on the road, a nine hour drive still left to go. It’s Christmas Eve so my parents try to hurry but it eventually ticks past 11pm with two hours still left to drive. So much for trying to make it to the cabin before Christmas.

I get a text from Noah saying they can’t stay awake to wait for us because they’re too tired. I reply telling him to go to sleep. I look tragic anyway, the last thing I need is someone seeing me like this. It’s just after 1am when we finally pull into the drive way of the cabin. My dad turns around in the seat and smiles at me, “The slopes are just over the hill. They have a mint spot.”

I hold back my laughter at dad using the word mint. I manage to contain it to a smile, “Sounds mint dad.”

He rolls his eyes, “Oh shut up and get out.”

Mum turns around in her seat too, “We’ll unpack tomorrow. Just get what you need and make sure you put some warm clothes on before you get out of the car, it’ll be freezing outside.”

I sigh, “Yes Mum. I know.”

“And wrap a scarf around your neck.”

“Because the cold is really going to hurt my slightly inflamed throat.” I mutter before wrapping a scarf around my neck to make her happy.

I put my coat on and my boots before grabbing my day bag and looking at my parents. "Hey Mum, Dad?"

They turn around, "Yes honey?" 

"Merry Christmas." I smile.

They both grin, "Merry Christmas sweetie. This'll be a different Christmas to what we're use to so try and bear with us, okay?" 

"Sure thing, no worries." 

Mum ruffles my hair, "Perfect."

There's barely any snow covering the driveway so it's an easy walk into the cabin. When I step inside behind my parents, the warmth coming from the fire crackling in the living room engulfs me. 

It's a cute cabin, all wood and rugs just like I imagined it to be. Cabins, just like baches, had to be home-y, something you could trudge sand or snow through and it wouldn't matter. Back at home, we had a Bach down at the Mount and it was a rickety old place where everyone chilled, right on the shores of the beach. We had friends whose baches were practically houses. However, despite our wealth, we always managed to have what a Bach was supposed to be - comforting and relevant to where we stayed. There was no use having a four million dollar Bach near the beach if you couldn't trudge sand through it. That's what it felt like with this cabin, I could feel the home-y vibes it was giving off. I shook of my boots and hung my coat on the rack before following my parents through to the lounge.

Larraine is sitting on the rocking chair reading a book when we show ourselves. She gets up to meet us, "Merry Christmas! Lovely to have you here!"