Chapter Three

--CHAPTER THREE--

            Life is like an onion: You peel it off one layer at a time, and sometimes you weep

                                                                                 Dylan Kamp

My finger tips were still a little frozen from when I touched Rose, I changed into something casual: a blue polo shirt, dark coloured jeans and a pair of sneakers.I picked up my jacket, stuffing Rose's ribbon in the pocket and grabbed my school bag, letting out a sigh of relief that I won't be carrying around my backpack anymore. I went into the kitchen where Mom was on her hands and knees scrubbing the floor, Rose was leaning on the window sill watching me. I nodded in her direction and went over to my mother. I stepped over her and opened the fridge and took out some milk and went into one of the shopping bags and got out a box of cereal then mixed the two.

'Dylan, aren't you going to warm that up, honey?' Mom sighed, standing up and droppign the sponges into a bucket of water.

I shrugged and shoved a spoonful of cereal into my mouth and chewed. Alison came skipping into the room and sat on the newspaper in front of the TV. Rose moved from her position at the window sill and sat next to Alison, I didn't even notice my Mom barge me out of the way so she could get to the sink. I picked up an orange and threw it at Alison's head, I managed to get my target. Alison turned around and squealed at me. Rose snapped out of her trance and sent me a confused look.

'Mom, Dylan threw an orange at my head!' Alison whined, rubbing the back of my head. Mom glared at me and went back to unpacking the shopping.

 'I was trying to give you, your five-a-day' I laughed, putting my bowl in the sink. Rose smirked at me before disappearing again. I needed someone to talk to about this whole ghost thing, I know I can't talk to my mother about it because she'd either have me exorcised or send me to church for a year, my sister would declare that I'm mad and have a bunch of people in white apparel drag me off to a psychiatric ward, So I guess the only option could be Kevin-the village idiot-only I didn't see him as that, a potential best friend maybe?

 'Dylan, can you take Alison to school?-I have a day off work so I'm going to get this place done up a bit..' Mom said, swiping her hand across her forehead. 

 'I don't need to be taken to school' Alison sneered at me. 'I can go all on my own..'

 I looked at Mom. 'Now that, that's taken care of..' I muttered, putting on my jacket and slinging my bag over my shoulder. Mom gave me a pleading look, I sighed. 'Fine...if she gives trouble I'm selling her for babe magazines' 

Alison went into the room to get her jacket and school bag. We kissed Mom goodbye and made our way to the bus stop, Alison kept singing the Spongebob theme song and it was starting to piss me off, I picked her up and slung her over my shoulder, ignoring her squeals. When we reached to the bus stop, I set her on her feet. 'If you carry on making noise, I'm going to sell you to the circus' I warned.

Alison pouted and turned away. We waited for ages for a bus, I looked at my watch, I had about five minutes to get to school, as for Alison her school starts at nine-Lucky little so and so-I was starting to contemplate on whether to walk to school or not. A black jeep pulled up in front of the bus stop, what kind of ignorant jerk would park in front of a bus stop?-The black tinted windows slid downwards.

'Hey, you want a ride?' Kevin asked, from his position in the driver's seat. I don't think I've ever been happier to see someone.

'Yeah, I've gotta take her to school' I replied, opening the back door for Alison to get in, she hesitated, I rolled my eyes and jerked my thumb inside the car. 'Get in..'