Chapter Fourteen

--CHAPTER FOURTEEN--

Life is occupied in both perpetuating itself and in surpassing itself. If all it does is maintain itself, then living is only not dying.

                                                                            Rose Ferland

I watched, from my seat on the bed as Dylan and his mother slept peacefully. Dylan was sleeping on his stomach and his mother, was sleeping on his back with her legs hanging off of the bed. I silently moved to sit on the floor so that I could get a better view. When they breathed, they breathed in sync, Dylan's breathing was a little stifled seeing as he hald a cold. I titled my head to the side in admiration, wishing that I could be that in position with my own mother, I wanted a mother to take me shopping and tease me about my latest crush and to talk back to, I wanted a father who would constantly think that no boy is good enough for his little girl, one that would spoil me to an extent that I'd become like one of those girls off of Super Sweet 16 and one that I could buy father's day presents for. Dylan's mother had her hand on his and unconciously stroked it while her son slept soundly, it seemed to be soothing him. I shook my head slowly, there was so many thins that I needed to know about my own mother and father, but not enough time to find it all out.

'Levi...' I whispered to myself, hoping that he could hear me. 'I need you' I huddled my knees closer to my chest and closed my eyes. Ever since I have started to have flashbacks, I hadn't seen much of Levi.

'It took you long enough,' A familiar voice chuckled from beside me. I turned to my right to see Levi winking at me, a huge grin spread out across my face then I threw my arms around him and pulled him into an air tight hug. 'Maybe I shouldn't see you more often' Levi added chuckling, when I pulled away. Levi stood up and I did the same, he clapped his hands and rubbed them together out of excitement before asking me, 'How can I help you, Miss. Rose?'

'Uh..' I mumbled. A small cough came from behind me, Levi and I glanced over to where Dylan and his mother was sleeping. Dylan coughed once more before slowly turning on his back and exhaling out of his mouth, his mother woke up and rubbed her eyes, taking in her surroundings. She placed the back of her hand on Dylan's forehead and gasped.

'Dylan, sweetie, wake up...' His mother muttered, rubbing his chest. Dylan coughed, sniffled a little and then opened his eyes.

'Mom, I don't feel too good' Dylan sniffled harder, placing his hands over his face. His mother frowned and moved his hands from his face to reveal Dylan's tear smeared face.

'Oh, Dylan, don't cry, you're just a little laid up' His mother cooed, wiping his face with the pads of her thumb. 'I'm going to take you to the hospital and you'll be better in two shakes of a sheep's tail.' she lightly pecked his forehead before getting up, before getting up off of the bed and rummaging through the drawers. 'You know, it would help if you folded your clothes like I constantly ask you to...'

 'Not now Mom' Dylan interjected, catching the pair of sweatpants she threw at him and putting them on over his shorts. His face didn't look how it normally did, it was pale and sweaty, and his eyes were red-rimmed from all of the rubbing.

'I'm going to tell Ally that we're gone' His mother left him in the room while he put his shoes, jacket, scarf and hat on. Dylan sat down on the bed and gazed around the room as if he was looking for something, he looked directly at me before rubbing his eyes, sighing and looking away. He looked at me as if he was looking through me, like I wasn't there, how everyone else did.

'Why can't he see us?' I whisper asked to Levi without removing my eyes from Dylan. I couldn't be dead, if I was, I would have felt something, right?

'I'm here.' Levi finally answered, turning his head to look at me. 'No one can see you' I crinkled my brows in confusion as I turned my whole body to face Levi.

'Explain,' I probed. 'You're a spirit-and I'm one too-he should be able to see the both of us'

'I'm dead, remember that?' Levi hinted, smirking at me even though hurt sparkled in his eye. 'He can't see me whether I'm with you or not because I'm dead, I've gone into the light-But he can see you because you two met prior to your accident and you have a bond and you're not dead..'

'Oh' was all I could mutter. I glanced over at Dylan again, he was fast asleep again. I huffed a smiled before heaving myself up on his desk and swinging my feet. Levi looked at me, his face firm looking, I arched my eyebrow in a questioning way.

'What do you want Rose?' Levi asked in a polite but stern tone. I frowned at first but then thought about it. I don't think anyone has ever asked me that question before. Normally when different people repeatedly ask you a certain question, like the one Levi had just asked me, the more they ask, the more you start to run out of ideas on how to answer it or what to answer it with. But not me, there were so many things that I wanted-and there still is-they were, parents, a stable family, maybe some friends...Dylan. 'What do you want me to do for you?' Levi repeated in a more clearer way.

'I want that...' I pointed at Dylan's mother as she absentmindedly passed me to get to Dylan, followed by Allison who shivered a little before sitting on the chair in front of the desk. 'I want you to give me a mother' I finished, not taking my eyes off of Dylan's mother.

I watched with pure envy as Dylan's mother unfolded the fleece blanket and wrapped it around her son, shaking him in the process and patting him to wake him up. 'C'mon honey, the cab's here' Allison yawned as she got up and gently pulled on her brother's hand.

'Rose,' Dylan murmured, sounding as ill as he did when he first woke up. His mother sat him up adn his eyes opened, I quickly looked over to Levi who's eyes were shut as if he were deep in his thoughts.

'Yes, sweetie, Rose is my favourite type of pink too' His mother cooed, heaving Dylan up onto his feet and flopping his arm around her shoulder and began to walk out of the room with Allison following closely behind them. Allison looked at me, then looked away as if nothing was there and continued to leave the room. She froze, turned around and looked at me again, her eyes bulged and she clamped her hand over her mouth.

'Rose...' Dylan's voice echoed through the hallway. I shot my head in that direction in response to my name, Allison followed my gaze. 'Rose...?' She gasped, I slowly nodded, completely aware of Levi glaring at me. She gulped, but she didn't move a muscle.

'Allison, will you quit piddling and get into the cab!?' Her mother called from the hallway as Dylan's ghostly groans got louder. Allison blinked for what I thought was the first time since she's seen me and exhaled as if she'd she's holding onto her breathe all that time. Allison looked at me once more before backing away and bolting out the room.

'Oh, damn' Levi concluded, sighing inwardly. I couldn't have said it any better than that.

--------------------------------------------------------

Hehehe, tolf you that it'd get better. I'd listen to that song at the side if I were you, very uplifting :) Enjoy the picture, hahaah XD