Chapter Twenty

--CHAPTER TWENTY--

The way for a young man to rise is to improve himself in every way he can, never suspecting that anybody wishes to hinder him.

                                                                             Dylan Kamp

I remained silent during the taxi ride home, my mother and Allison chatted away to each other about something I didn’t care about. I had my head leaned up against the window, watching the raindrops treacle down the window. How could I have been stupid enough to think that Rose would ever feel something for a guy like me?-There's so many things that are wrong with me, that it almost seems understandable that she'd pick that Levi guy, over me. I balled up my fists and bit down on my lip to refrain myself from saying or doing something that I'd probably regret. I let my head fall back onto the seat and closed my eyes, trying to think of something that makes me happy...Rose, was all I could think of, I sighed inwardly finally opening my eyes.

'Dylan, sweetie, are you okay?' My mother asked in her concerned tone as she gently patted my forehead. 'You feeling unwell again..?' She loosened one of the two scarves around my neck, I let out a breathe that had probably been waiting to get out. I opened my mouth to respond but instead I simply shrugged. A shrug, that's how I could sum up how I was feeling just then. I heard a small sigh come from beside me before the conversation between my mother and Allison continued. The taxi stopped at a traffic light, in front of a bench where a couple was sitting, holding hands. There was nothing else to look at, nothing that caught my eye.

The guy had his arm around his girlfriend, nuzzling his nose in her cheek and she giggled attempting to pry him away. He only chuckled and scooted closer to her then started kissing her cheek, she eventually gave in and turned her whole torso to face him. She pressed her mouth against his, raising her hand and placing it at the back of his head. He deepened the kiss by placing both of his hands of either side of her face, slightly tilting his head. Someone up in the sky must really have out for me, I frowned and looked away.

Everything around me was blurred. I rubbed my eyes and felt something wet on the palms of my hands. I wiped the tears off of my face and returned to my previous seating position. The taxi started to move again, taking me away from the couple who were literally dry humping on the public park bench. I felt my eyes rim with tears again, I was thinking of her. I quickly wiped my face again only for more to come down. I leaned back in my seat, shielding my face from my mother and sister's concerned looks.

I didn't want them to see me like this, I was supposed to be the strong one. But I couldn't help it. Rose had made some sort of effect on me and she wasn't even conscious yet. I pressed my face into the palms of my hands. I felt my mother's hand on my back, she was talking to me. But I just couldn't get a word of what she was saying. The taxi finally turned into the road where we lived, our apartment was a couple of doors down from the entrance. Without even bothering for it to come to a final halt at our front door, I bounded out of the vehicle, ignoring my mother's frantic calls. 

The tears were streaming down my face, anyone passing by would think my eyes were Niagara falls. I didn't wipe them away, I just let them fall. My sobs cut off by my heavy breathing as I stretched my legs further apart to shorten the time it took me to get home. I pulled my keys out of my pocket and entered the building opening the front door, it slammed against the wall with a loud bang. I made a mental note to check to make sure that he didn't make a hole in the wall because then he'd mother would probably give him something more to cry about.

I closed my room door and locked it, I wanted to be alone. I slid down the door, not able to make it any closer to my bed. I let my head fall forward onto my knees, crossing my arms over my head. I don't think I've ever cried so much over something, especially a girl. My mother and father were in love, I didn't need to have eyes to notice how distraught she was when he died and I was just a kid, I didn't know anything about death or the consequences of falling in love.

I guess this is the punishment I get for being idiotic, for thinking Rose would actually feel any kind of emotion towards someone like me. 'Dylan..' A small but familiar voice called out my name, I didn't bother looking up as a yelled a muffled. 'Go away, I don't want to see you' there was a small gasp then a long silence. I slowly looked up, thinking that she had gone. Rose was sitting on the bed, her legs crossed, gazing intently at me.

'Is that what you want?' She asked me, her eyes never leaving mine. 'You want me to go away?' her voice sounded meek and unsteady. 'Because if that's what you want then-'

'No!' I blurted out, standing up. I realized that my loud voice had startled her and slowly walked towards her. 'No..' I repeated in a voice so soft it could be mistaken for a whisper. 

'Then why did you leave like that?' Rose questioned, not getting up off the bed but her eyes briefly scanned my face for an answer before meeting my eyes again. 'You just walked out, you didn't even give me a chance to-'

'Dylan!' My mother's worried voice interrupted followed by a repeated pounding on the door. 'Dylan, sweetie, are you okay?' more pounding 'Dylan, please open the door. Do or say something so I can know you're alright'

'I'm okay, mom.' I responded, turning to look at the door. 'I just needed some fresh air, that's all'

There was a moment of silence. 'Okay, I'll get dinner ready and bring it to your room' She informed him. Her footsteps started to get faint again 'What? He gets to eat in his room!?' She whined in disbelief. 'That isn't fair!'

I rolled my eyes then turned my head to look back at Rose again who was still looking up at me. 'A chance to do what?' I asked, picking up from where she left off.

'To finish what I was going to say,' Rose said, rising up off  the bed. I stepped back to give her some space but I was close enough to feel the cool breeze radiating off of her skin. 'to tell you how I really feel' 

'But you don't feel anything for me. I'm just good company' I repeated half of what she told me at the hospital. 

Rose rolled her eyes. 'All you boys are the same, you listen but you don't fully get it!' She hissed, stepping past me and walking towards the door then turning to face me. 'I never said that I don't feel anything for you, Dylan. I do, I really do'

I stepped closer, the breeze was starting to feel like a blizzard. 'I feel something for you too, something that goes beyond friendship'

Rose smiled, cautiously stepping closer. 'I thought I was the only one' I grinned down at her, I raised my hand and she did hers. I pressed my palm against hers, closing my eyes then opening then again. The warm feeling that I had been craving has returned again, it was her. She was the warmth to my cold days. I looked at her face as she smiled up at me, I couldn't help but smile back it was like a relfex action. She brougt

Author's Note: I'm just trying to be cheesy, is it working? Yes? Okay :)

'Just hurry up and wake up already' I murmured, gazing deeply into her eyes. 'I can't take this any longer'

'I will,' She said, pressing her hand more into mine. I closed my eyes once more, embracing the warmth that was taking over my hand. 'I promise'. There was a gentle breeze that blew gently in my face, I opened my eyes and I was alone in the room. 

'Dylan, what are you doing?' My mother's voice startled me, I dropped my hand to my side then quickly turned around to face her. She eyed me with a curious expression on her face before it relaxed into a motherly smile. 'If you're going to speak to the Lord, you do it on your knees, sweetie' She wandered inside my room, placing a tray on my desk and stooping down to pick up a t-shirt off of the floor. She stood up straight and looked at my face. 'Why are you grinning like that?'

That's why my cheeks were hurting. 'Nothing, you just make me happy, Mom' I grinned, side hugging her and sitting at my desk. 

Okay so that wasn't the compete truth. But do you think that I was going to tell my mother that a girl's soul appeared in my room and told me that she felt the same way for me? No. She'd have me in dressed in a straight jacket with my arms tied around my torso.

And there you have it, next chapter will be better than this and will be up next week, the latest. :)

Daisie xo.