Chapter Six

--CHAPTER SIX--

Life is too short to wake up in the mornings with regrets. So love the ones who treat you right, forget the ones who don’t. Remember that everything happens for a reason. If you get a chance take it, if it changes your life, then let it. No one said it would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

                                                                              Rose Ferland

I smiled to myself as Dylan and Kevin exited the lift, Dylan had confessed part of his hidden feelings for me. Dylan turned to wink at me, I grinned-goofily-the butterflies in my stomach were threatening to ex I’ve never felt this way before, I guess that’s what having a crush feels like. I closed my eyes and opened them again; I stared down at myself on the hospital bed. They had removed a few of the bandages from my cuts but I still had the same one wrapped around my head. It felt weird looking at me, my hair was messily tucked into a side pony tail and my breathing tube looked like a large pole being stuffed into my mouth. The constant beeping of the machines made it hard to focus on how I’ll be getting back into my body. I reached out and touched the bandages on my head, a flash of images started rushing around in my head. I gasped at the impact; I was skipping across the street-without a care in the world.

But the peculiar thing was that I was watching it from a third person’s point of view. A car honked loudly, catching everyone- that was in hearing range-attention. I watched myself as I froze; the car continued to honk and slammed right into my body. The effect sent me flying and landing on the concrete with a low thud. People swarmed from off of the pavements, the driver came rushing out of the car-a man and a woman-a large group of people surrounded me. The woman fell to her knees and yelled at the man, their voices were all inaudible, all I could hear was the sound of a heart beating, it went from a normal rate to a slow…fatal rate-was it mine?

Suddenly the voices were all hearable, people were screaming-why?-they weren’t the ones who were knocked down by a Range Rover. ‘Paul, what have you done!?’ The woman yelled at the man, cupping the side of my face. ‘She’s out cold!’ it was obvious they had been in the middle of an argument at the time their car had hit me.

‘I don’t know!’ Paul retorted, his hands shook with fear as he gazed down at me. Paul turned and yelled ‘Someone call an ambulance!’ to the crowd who had flocked around me. I stepped into the road and crossed it, pushing past all the people to see myself. I was lying on the ground; a stream of blood trickled down the side of my face and my chest rose and fell at a slow pace as I fought to breathe. My hands flew to my mouth, I looked…dead.

A loud siren noise could be heard from a distance, a police car and an ambulance came into view. The police car parked up and two officers came out to get everyone to clear the way, one of them even had to pry the woman off of me, anyone would have thought she was my mother they way she was constantly yelling at her husband. ‘Eliza, please, just come and stand with me-I’m going to talk to the officer’ Paul insisted, reaching his hand out for her to take it. Eliza reluctantly took it and stood next to her husband, her eyes never leaving me as she and her husband were questioned by one of the police.

The paramedics worked pretty fast to get me up onto the stretcher before the Channel 5 News arrived with all their cameras-Not that anyone would want to see a girl who had just been knocked down by a car, live on TV. One of them had a breathing mask over my face, constantly pumping air into it. I felt the pain in my lungs as the air from it filled them. I had a sudden headache as the other tried to disinfect the wound on my forehead, the moment they’d got into the ambulance. The doors slammed shut, denying me any more viewing of what was happening to me. The sirens sounded again, driving away and dragging the whole scene with it.