Chapter Nineteen

--CHAPTER NINETEEN--

Sometimes love can be like a book, it can either end the way you want it to or it could end leaving you at a cliff-hanger, wondering what’s going to happen next.

                                                                           Rose Ferland

I stared at Levi for what felt like forever, was this some sort of nightmare that I couldn’t wake up from? I squeezed my eyes shut and hoped-and prayed-that when I opened that everything, including my coma, would be nothing but a out of control dream but when I did open my eyes, it was nothing like that at all. I was still in the park; the people around me were still frozen in place almost as if they were statues in a museum. Levi was watching me expectantly with the book in his hand, like an actress waiting for her cue, I slowly nodded for him to continue and he did. ‘Um. Where was I-right, Rosemarie Ferland died at the age of eleven from Leukaemia’ Levi paused and tightened his lips into a thin line, like he was holding back from something. He breathed in then back out again before continuing. ‘How Harry Ferland managed to kidnap Riley Samuels without being seen is unknown but he then brought her home...’ Levi stopped again and sighed. ‘You might as well see this for yourself’ he told me, snapping his fingers.

All of a sudden the park started to come alive again, the sounds of the screaming children and chirping birds returned with the occasional chatter coming from their cautious parents. Then everything started to speed up like everyone and everything was going in a fast forward motion, it looked like someone was fast forwarding a video tape. Soon the scene started to darken and we weren’t in the park anymore, we were now in a living room-my living room, I arched my eyebrow at Levi as I looked around. The living room looked extremely old and out-dated, with the black and white chequered curtains that my mother-I mean stranger-loved so much and the navy blue carpet that I had once so many spilled juice on as a child-I mean victim.

The front door open and my father came in with something thrown over his shoulder, I gasped in shock as I instantly recognized the bundle on his shoulder as Riley. He had her well wrapped in a pink Barbie blanket with a warm hat on her head to keep her extra warm, Riley-I mean I-was fast asleep, softly snoring, completely unaware of the fact that I had just been taken away from my family. My father-I mean Harry-gently placed her on the sofa, Riley tossed and turned a little bit before she settled back into the blanket and fell back to sleep again. Harry grinned down at her with a proud look on his face, like he’d just completed a master piece.

‘There, there, you’re home now, baby’ Harry whispered, lightly pecking the side of Riley’s forehead. I felt something warm at the side of my forehead; I put my hand there and frowned.

‘Harry, I’m home!’ A familiar voice called out as a woman entered the apartment and slammed the door shut behind her. Harry hurried over to Martina and gently placed his hand over her mouth, she looked at him suspiciously.

‘Sh!-You’ll wake her up!’ Harry softly hissed, quickly looking over at Riley who hadn’t moved a muscle. Martina lightly shoved Harry out of the way and went over to the sofa to get a clearer view. ‘Who is this little cutie?’ Martina chirped, stooping down to look at Riley. She brushed her hair out of her face and smiled even wider. ‘Oh, Harry, she’s beautiful...’

‘She’s ours’ Harry finished, crossing his arms and leaning on the door frame with a large grin on his face.

Martina jumped up in surprise. ‘What do you mean, Harry?’ She demanded in a low tone. ‘What have you done?’