1-Situation

~*Whisper POV*~

Another letter in the mail today. I grab the mail from my post office box. The office lady waves as I leave. More paperwork from that life insurance mother had. She didn’t have much saved up for me but it was enough to get me out of foster care. And only thing I had from my dad was a wedding photo of my parents. Everything else burned down in one of the foster houses. I was blamed, like I’m blamed for everything, but I wasn’t even home. I was at the post office and when I got back the house was a pile of ashes. Only things that survived were my photo and paperwork in a lock box under my bed.

Because of that I was blamed and shipped away. As I walked home a few of the locals waved or noted my existence. Not many people do though. Being the daughter of a mother who went crazy in the last months of her life and a father that abandoned his family didn’t earn much respect. Only reason I moved back to Texas is because of my parents graves.

Yeah I had a bad reputation in Downtown Austin but that doesn’t mean I can’t try to make a living here. Being Austin it’s easier to live here than any smaller towns. People will hire under age kids any time. And since I am 16 and been on my own for a year and a half means I have to have a job. Austin just happens to be the perfect place for me.

As I walk into my apartment I check all my windows. The neighborhood isn’t the best but it’s cheap. The owner plans on putting bars on the windows because downstairs has had 4 break-ins this month. When everything is secure and checked I set my stuff on a counter.

My stomach growls so I look in the fridge. It’s almost empty again and my benefits from the state haven’t come in yet. Being 16, an orphan, and the fact my mother went crazy gets you temporary benefits. The state and my mother’s life insurance is the way I got my apartment.

My alarm clock went off then. Time for work. I got dressed in my uniform and grabbed my name tag. I locked my apartment and started the walk to work.

I was passing one of the alleys when a group of guys came out walking. I passed them and they started whistling at me. I ignored them but they started to follow me. I still had half a mile to walk and the streets were empty today. Damn it, I don’t need this shit right now.

I kept walking hoping that they would leave. They didn’t. One tried to jump in my path but I dodged around him. He whistled again and said something about my speed. They started to try and grab at my clothes but I side stepped them.

One made a successful grab at my shirt. I tried to pull away but another man grabbed my around the waist. I tried to fight but there was too many of them.

They pulled me into an alley and 4 of them pinned me down while a 5th guy started to tear at my clothes. I tried to bite the guy that held my shoulder down but the one on my other side of my shoulder pulled a knife and placed it against my throat. I tried to scream but I was gagged with a sock. The 5th man started to tear more of my clothes off and touch me. The man with the knife slipped and cut my throat a little. I looked down and saw blood pouring down my neck and dripping off my collar bone.

Something snapped in my mind. A voice in my head started to talk to me. ‘Whisper, Calm down for a minute and I’ll take care of everything. I’ll hurt you if you don’t calm down.’

I started to freak out. I was being raped and now I hear voices! I started to wiggle and try and squirm away but the men held me down and it hurt. The voice spoke to me again, ‘I’m not warning you again. Whisper, you have like 2 seconds to calm down.’

I kept trying to scream and wiggle free. A sudden pain from the center of my brain started and spread through my body. My bones changed and my joints popped. Pain filled my entire being and I heard screams surround me.

Slowly the pain faded away and I found myself on my back, legs in the air. It felt wrong. I rolled over and stood up. But then I realized that I was alone and couldn’t stand up any further. I looked around and confirmed that I was alone.

I looked at my hands and instead I saw black paws. My feet were black paws too. I had a tail and the end was black and the rest was white. What the hell happened to me?

I licked my lips and noticed that my canines extended over my jaw like a saber tooth tiger’s teeth. That’s not normal for even a wolf. A deep pain started in my throat. There was a pool of blood to my left. I sniffed it and it smelled like me. My throat burned even more.

‘You’re thirsty. And not water thirsty. I’m your wolf, not some voice in your head. We are a joined soul and we are different than others. We require blood to live. I’ll keep us in this wolf till you get to your home but after that you must feed us somehow.’

I was amazed by the tone her voice had but I obeyed and traveled back home. I hid behind dumpsters and in alleys whenever I saw someone.

It took a while but I finally got home. Trying to get in the building was another story. My wolf directed me to go to the back. I found a locked door. She told me to shift and use my strength and snap the door open. I did so and it easily opened. I shifted and snuck up the stairway. At my door, I shifted and snapped the door’s lock and got in. Once in I went and got dressed.

The phone rang and I answered to hear yelling. “Whisper, where the hell are you? You are an hour late and you’re still at home? What the hell?”

I snapped at my boss, “Look I want to see you come to work after getting attacked and raped in a f*cking alley! Get off my case, Mike. I need to take a few days off to recuperate and I’ll be back next Monday.”

“You better or you lose the job little girl.” He hung up before I could yell back.

My wolf growled. ‘If you can stay calm then you can stay human. When your emotions spike you lose control and I gain it. You’ve exhausted me enough today. Our thirst will get worse if I take control.’

I sighed and noticed the burn again. It was much worse than earlier but still tolerable.

There was a knock at the door. ‘He can help us.’ My wolf added her thoughts.