20 - Attack

Over the next 3 days Daniel trains with us and my group. We race around the territory with the border patrol. We fought matches between each other. And we did practice hunts. This all helped my reflexes and kept us busy.

It was now day four of watching.

I am busy in the kitchen getting food when a wolf howls in the distance. Howls all around the territory begin to echo it. The Attack was any moment now. I quickly drop what I was doing and ran upstairs. I grab the backpack full of needed supplies. I run down stairs where I find James and the group already shifted. Not caring for my clothes, I shift mid-step on the stairs. I give the backpack to Lane who was the fastest out of the group. He takes it him his mouth and we run outside.

 James is to my right and the group behind us as we run to our positions. Daniel assigned use to stand near the southern border. The rest of the pack scramble. Everyone is in their wolf forms. I watch as the few children ride on their parents as the run to the underground entrances. I spot Daniel and Patty headed in the western direction that the first howl sounded.

As we find our position, the group surrounds me and James. Lane drops the backpack at my feet before taking his spot.

We stand there for a minute before I spot movement in the trees. I lower myself to the ground as a man walks towards us quickly. He stops when he spots me and James. “So two little Hybrids and not one female. Amazing. Just makes the prize better.”

Within seconds everything around me slows down. The Vampire bares his fangs and charges at us. But it’s in slow motion. I quickly jump up and off the back of one of the group and wrap my teeth around the monsters neck. In seconds I’m ripping his throat out before he can even scream.

I drop to the ground to find the group in shock but James was right behind me looking around for more attackers. We are instantly attacked by 6 vampires. James and I take one on while the group team up together.

I rip out my vampire’s throat in seconds and help the group along with James. We succeed in killing another vampire together.

As I rip out my third vampire’s throat, a howl comes from my left. I look to see a wolf drop from a vampire’s hands. The wolf’s back is bent in a way that is impossible. The wolf’s eyes are rolled back in his head and he doesn’t breathe.

I quickly slip under James’s assault on the second to last vampire, and grab this murderer by the throat. He sees me coming and tries to grab my tail. He missed but succeeds in grabbing my paw. He yanks me out of the air seconds before I can sink my teeth into his cold hard flesh.

He pulls me through the air and lets go as I slam into a tree trunk. The air is filled with a loud crack as I hit my back.

My vision goes black for a minute but when it comes back I see that vampire. But his throat is in James’s mouth.

My vision blacks out again before I see James over me. His fur is covered in blood as he nudges my head. I whimper and then feel a nudge on my mind. ‘Child, get up. We must fight. We must survive and get out of here.’

Blood-Fang’s words bring me back to my senses. I roll myself onto my belly. Pain shots through my back but I grit my teeth and sake myself stand up. I have my eyes closed tight but I can feel James helping me stand. As soon as I stand, I feel warmth from Blood-Fang and someone else fill me. Within seconds my body is pain free and I’m ok again. I look at James who has a strange look on his face.

I thank Blood-Fang and look around. The wolf from earlier has been dragged to a tree and out of the way. As I look around a loud growl fills the air.

I turn and find Shay standing behind me. Somehow he speaks verbally by just opening his mouth. “Hello Whisper and James. That was a nice trick by your wolves but it won’t save you.”