10 - Learning

I woke up early the next morning. I went down stairs and made some eggs for myself. As I ate, James came down stairs and made himself some food as well. He sat across from me.

I looked him and he smiled back. I sighed and left with my empty plate. In the kitchen, I washed it and put it way. I turned to leave but James was there. “You feel ok? You look pale.”

I looked away. My hands were sweaty and I was nervous. “Yes, I’m fine. Thank you.”

I left the room quickly. I was still scared to admit that he was my mate. I wanted my lessons to prove it first.

I ran into Daniel on the stairs. “Good morning Whisper, you ready for your lessons?”

I nodded. “Yea, I want to learn what I can as soon as I can.”

He nodded. “Well then let’s go to the office.”

Daniel turned around and we went to the office. He began to speak. “The first thing to cover is abilities. You know most of them. One good thing about werewolves and vampires is we each have only one weakness. For werewolves, it’s pure silver. Even painted, it can hurt us. We don’t heal normally or quickly when we arm harmed by it. They only way that we can touch it is by a thick solid between our skin and the silver. Gloves, clothes, and plastic won’t work. A cushion, if thick enough, can but be weary.”

I nodded then remembered that first day that I was here. “Who was that wolf that had attacked you my first day?”

“Ah, he was a traitor that I had discovered. He has been in a silver cell in our dungeon.”

 I nodd and ask him to continue. “Other than silver, no object can hinder our healing powers. We do have one other thing though can be a problem but also a blessing. The Mate concept. Each wolf has a mate. For werewolves, it’s a soul mate. I’m not sure if it complies with hybrids too. Once Mates see each other they know instantly. They feel pain when apart and no one can destroy the Mate bond except a rejection. This is when one mate rejects the other.”

I looked at my hands. Daniel had paused but noticed me. I thought about what he had said. “Daniel, is there anything else that I can’t learn from my wolf?”

He tapped his chin for a moment. “I don’t think so. Do you want to leave?”

I nodded. Daniel got up and opened to door. I left and went to my room. I locked the door and laid on my bed.

Why am I scared to love James? Why do I get so nervous around him? Is it because I’ve never let myself love before? Is it because my past?

My wolf decided to step in. ‘Whisper, listen to me. Don’t doubt us. And don’t doubt me. I have talked to Thorn. James doesn’t know but we are meant to be. You are the only female hybrid in the world. Who would he find? Some worthless vampire? Or some pitiful werewolf? We are special and he has proven it by letting you figure out that he is our mate.’

I sighed and put my head in my hands. ‘But Blood-Fang, why do I feel the way I do about him?’

She sighs and I feel warm come from her words. ‘Whisper, you haven’t loved anyone since mother died. We have never had a chance at love of any kind. If you just follow me and your instincts, then we will be ok. And if it falls, I will handle it.’

I nodded. ‘Ok, I’m glad to have a wolf like you as my other half.’

Blood-Fang didn’t respond except a wave of warmth through my mind. I felt her leave me to my thoughts.

I laid in bed for an hour, thinking about what she had said. If I should listen to my instincts, then the next time I have the urge to do something, then I will.