25 - Home

~*James’s POV*~

I wake up in the morning with Whisper next to me. She is still sleeping. I look around and spot Sky near the entrance. Her back is to me as she watches the sun sink.

‘Sky, are we going to travel now? If not, I need to hunt and get food. Whisper just ate when I got her.’

Sky stayed silent as she looked at the sunset. I got up and walked over and sat down next to her. ‘Sky, are we-’

Sky snapped. ‘Yes, I heard you. I was thinking. Whisper does not need to meet me the way I am right now. I can’t enter the lands like this either. You are the only one that knows of my wolf. Not even Daniel knows. And his pack may never know. They are not my responsibility. I’ll help you get Whisper to the pack border but after that you won’t see me in wolf again. Go hunt. We will leave when you get back.’

I nodded and looked at Whisper’s sleeping form. My heart ached to closer to her but my stomach growled as well. Sighing, I ran off a ways into the forest to hunt.

An hour later I found my way back to the cave with my belly full and the energy to run. Sky was still where I left her and Whisper was lying with her eyes open. I tried to link to her but she was still blocked. Her eyes were a reddish purple. Almost as if they were starting to turn back to their normal sky blue.

I shook my head and linked to Sky. ‘I’m ready when you are.’

Sky nodded and picked up her jacket from the cave floor. I picked up my back pack and nudged Whisper’s rear. She got up and began to follow Sky as we headed north.

We gained speed with Sky leading, Whisper following and me nudging Whisper every time she slowed. The moon showed the trees and landscape in from of us as we ran. As the sun began to rise, the forests and plains lit up in a beautiful array of colors.

We continued till about noon. Sky noticed Whisper dropping speed even with my nudging.

 ‘Let’s find a place to rest and I’ll try to see if Whisper is any better.’

I obeyed and we found a cave made out of a few trees that have grown together. Whisper laid down and I sat at the base of one of the trees and kept watch. Sky stared into Whisper’s eyes for an hour before speaking.

‘She should be able to speak to us by tomorrow. With our current speed we won’t get to the pack for another day. She may not be completely sane for a while though. Blood can react quickly but takes awhile to leave the system.’

Curiosity spiked as I wondered how Sky knew so much. ‘How do you know all this about her?’

Sky sighed and laid down. ‘My mother was a hybrid similar to you. But she was around vampires and was bitten making her a cross between you and Whisper. She taught me a lot before her death. But my father is the one who passed down my looks and real powers.’

I nodded and was amazed. This person was a hybrid and yet everyone thinks that Whisper was the first. Just shows how much people pay attention to the Dark world now days.