7- Working

We got into the castle’s hold within an hour. They had to check my ID and do a back ground check. I checked out clear and they knew Will. I was on my way to the throne room with William behind me. There were a few werewolves here but almost everyone I saw were vampires. The Vampire king was the one that would choose my starting position.

I entered the room and was told to stand in the center while Will and guards stood near the exits. A young vampire in his teens came out and sat in the Throne. He wore a crown and robe. I wanted to laugh. This had to be a joke.

“This is the new comer?” He had a British accent.

 One of his guards who stood near him pushed Will forward. “This wolf brought her saying that she wanted to join. She checked out clean.”

The King sighed. “Well William, do you know any good positions for her talents?”

Will shook his head. “No my liege, I haven’t spoken to her since I was young. I do not know much about her talent. Only her origins and past.”

He looked at me, sizing me up. “Well, Miss Amber, Would you like to share any talents?”

I nodded. “Yes sir, I can cook, I can clean, I am very strong even for vampire standards, and I have a large range of knowledge about Human relations.”

He nodded. “Well then you can start as a Cotter. They are low ranked and do any jobs that are assigned. Do well and you can be promoted.”

I nodd and me and Will are sent out. One down the hall a ways he pushed me into a small alcove. “Very good job. A Cotter is an excellent job for our mission. You have a full run of the castle so you can get a promotion anywhere. We need you to focus on a jailer or a servant. So either use your knowledge or strength to get closer to one of the two jobs. That way I can promote you. My job is a Co-Marshal when I’m around. So if you need me I’ll be outside on the grounds or in the kitchen.”

I nodded and he took my arm. “I’ll take you to a friend to get you started.” He led me through a maze of hallways.

We arrived at a kitchen where an older lady was working over a fire with a kettle. She looked up and hugged Will. “Oh the pup is back. Nice to see you dear. And who is this? Are you bringing poor girls down here again?”

Will laughed nervously, “No Maul, she is the new Cotter. I figured that you could help her get settled in. She’s a vampire by the way. You know I like to stick to my own kind.” He laughs and leaves me with her.

She smiles showing fangs. “What’s your name dear and how old are you? I like to get to know my fellow vamps.”

I nodd and watch as she goes back over to the Kettle hanging above the fire. “Well my name is Amber, I am about 50. I was bitten when I was 16. The last of my family died not too long ago and I knew Will as he was growing up. I had heard about the Rebellion and everything and figured that I could help out if I came here. I have no problems with them but I don’t want Wolves to take over so that we can die out again.”

She nodded as I talked. When I finished she introduced herself. “I am Maul. I am 567 years old. My appearance shows my age as well.” Maul laughs. “I have been with the king’s family for years. He is actually 114 years old and I took care of his successor. Back then we only ruled England’s creatures though. I am mighty proud to have a new recruit and a Cotter at that. Not many women can get that job first off. They usually had to sleep with someone for it.”

I looked around nervously and picked at my skirt. She pushed me to a desk hidden behind some boxes. “I’ll give you a map of the castle and give you a few routine jobs. You’ll learn the castle quickly. If there is a preference in location or area of work let me know after you learn the area.”