15. Dynamics

Dedicated to: janhavibm Leahjohn722

"The dynamic waves of time wash away transient footprints of fantasy. We struggle to keep afloat holding onto the log of wood called hope in the mighty ocean of life; we struggle to survive. Alas, we find peace and solace only when the dynamic beating of the heart is traded for the stillness of death."

-Elegiac_Damsel

______

September 6

Third person's point of view:

The dark overcast skies of the monsoon paved the way to the clear blue skies of the impending autumn as pillowy, soft, pure white clouds gradually replaced the moisture-heavy, black masses, only to be overpowered briefly during sporadic spells of the shower of the retreating monsoon. The City of Joy dwelled in joyous anticipation of the upcoming festivities that Autumn brought forth in the form of Sharadiya Navratri or Durga Puja. 

The lanes that had suffered from three months of persistent waterlogging, now bore a different look as different clubs and associations commenced the work on their puja marquees that would house the idol of the deity during the 5 days of festivities. Although there was still a month to go, the bursting energy and enthusiasm that radiated off everyone in the city could be felt in the air. The marketplaces and stores attracted a huge crowd each day, more so during the weekend, as people thronged the streets and shops to purchase finery that they would don during the festival. 

It was Friday, the twilight was just setting in as the sun prepared to retire for the day, dipping below the horizon. 

Mrinalini stood at the edge of the terrace, leaning over the parapet, observing the lanes. This was the only time of the day that she would make efforts to never miss as she enjoyed the brief solitude as she stood still, her eyes observing what went around as the breeze caressed her cheeks. She had just finished her bi-weekly tuition class with Sagnik, having taken 2.5 hours upon realizing how poor the boy's knowledge of Chemistry was. With limited days in hand, she had to put in extra effort, expecting the same from her student, in return. 

Debarghya wasn't in town, having left on the 3rd. He was due to return the next day, by early morning. The first night that Mrinalini had been by herself had been genuinely terrifying since she had a certain paranoia about being alone in the dark. She had called up Debarghya in fear, telling him that a howling noise coming from the window scared her. Fed up with her irrational fear, Debarghya disconnected the call abruptly, leaving Mrinalini to deal with her own fears which eventually saw her falling into a deep slumber, sinking into oblivion, panic and consternation dissipating, as fatigue numbed her senses. 

She did not face any qualms about going to bed alone, at night, on the next day. And although she was upset with her husband for being so uncaring, she knew that it was a fear well conquered. 

The household had become livelier in the past one day, with the arrival of Debarghya's younger brother, and the youngest member of their family, Debrishi. He was back home from his college in Kharagpur as there was a long weekend coming up; with Friday and Monday being bank holidays. 

Unlike the almost courteous, seldom amicable relation that Mrinalini shared with her sister-in-law, she had instantly struck the right chord with her brother-in-law. Both being close to each other in age, and from science backgrounds, it hadn't taken much time for them to become well acquainted.

In fact, the previous evening had probably been the best evening for Mrinalini at her marital home. The four of them; Debjani, Anumegha, Debrishi, and Mrinalini had enjoyed playing Ludo, teaming up against one another, and laughter and smiles had been eminent in the living room throughout the evening.