10. Questions

DEDICATED TO: Vasu and Roopsie22 and Poushali_Haldar

"Nothing hurts more than the truth when it is brought to light, years after concealing it with lies and fake smiles."

-Elegiac_Damsel

______

23rd August

Third person's point of view:

Neruda in his poem, 'Keeping Quiet' describes an 'exotic moment' when all would be quiet and everything would be still. There would be silence; no one would speak. Violence and bloodshed would stop for a moment. No language need be spoken, the peace would suffice; the moment would be one such when killing would no longer persist and the world would seem unified in silent glory.

But when words fail to be voiced and emotions are left unexpressed, the silence that descends is strangely deafening! The inner voice inside one's head, the one reflecting your conscience seems to be screaming.

Rai's earth-shattering revelation had incited such a response from Mrinalini. She felt like she had been shot by bullets of shock, hurt, and betrayal. The initial elation and emotions that had greeted her when she had first begun reading the letter had been extinguished by the chilling spray of unfathomable reality.

Even now as her hoarse voice croaked out the words in an ode to seek her husband; the person who was closely acquainted with her, at one of the weakest points in her life, her seemingly quiet mind was screaming inside.

"Arghya? Where are you?"

"Mrinal? I am in Jadavpur. Do you need anything? What has happened?" Debarghya's voice came through the phone struggling to be heard, amidst the noise of honking cars and traffic

"I... When will you be home?" she asked, desperation apparent in her voice, her eyes welling up all over again

"Mrinal, give me a minute. I need to cross the road." 

Mrinalini sighed deeply, not disconnecting the call. She shifted the phone from her left ear, pressing it to her right ear, waiting for him to continue speaking. Her disturbed self yearned to hear his familiar voice, seeking some comfort.

The only sound that greeted her from the other end was the sound of bus conductors screaming out to passengers and the incoherent voice of a traffic constable or two who were trying in vain, to maintain order.

Finally, a minute later, Debarghya's voice spoke up, "Mrinal? Are you there?"

"I am."

"I am sorry, Mrinal. The pedestrian's signal had just turned green and I had to cross the road... The bus was about to leave. What were you saying?"

Mrinalini made a clicking noise, in annoyance. Her patience ran thin and the pain pierced her further as it demanded to be felt.

"When will you be home?" she asked, holding her breath, hoping in her mind that he would be early

"It would take me time. I am headed to Tollygunge at the moment. Is there an emergency Mrinal? Has anything happened?" his voice was laced with concern

"No, I am okay. Nothing has happened. Nothing is wrong. Is it urgent work?" she asked, trying her best to be composed and strong

"It is a bit urgent, Mrinal. My senior manager would be there too. We need to meet a doctor at M.R. Bangur. I will take the metro back home right after I am done. Will that be okay?"