2. Destiny

DEDICATED TO: My father and my brother, Rhitam

"Destiny- an incomplete road that builds itself gradually with each moment that you live."

-Elegiac_Damsel

______

June 2017

Third person's point of view:

Destiny is something utterly unpredictable.

In the same way, one can never judge at first glance which seed would eventually come to fruition, the proud and strong trees that stand tall can never know which storm would eventually strip them of their regal throne. The direction of wind never remains static; it is always the bird who has to change the course of its flight.

 And then there are moments that equal uncontrolled and unexpected explosions that shake things right to their foundation. Barun's words came down with an intensity that utterly jeopardized the peace that had earlier been a constant in Mrinalini's life.

"We want to get Mini married before we leave the country." 

Mrinalini couldn't have envisaged this situation even in the worst of all nightmares. Get married? She didn't find it in herself to react. Her mind went blank, it was almost like the words had never reached her ears. 

"She is just 21, Baba! How can you even think of this?" Abhrajit's enraged voice snapped her back to reality.

"You stay out of this. It is our responsibility; particularly mine, to get her married. I have brought her up as my daughter. She must be married off before we relocate so that we can be assured about her future," Barun stated firmly.

"What do you mean by 'assured about her future'? How can you decide her future, Baba? She is too young. You cannot just push her into something like this! You never discussed any of this with me!" his son retorted, malice and anger dripping off his voice.

Srishti could see that her son wasn't too happy with his father's abrupt decision, he just wasn't thinking though! She went and put her hand on his shoulder, as an ode to calm him.

"Son, she is 21. I was married to your father when I was 22. Her mother was married at an even younger age- 18. She is mature enough and I think you know very well that your father and I love her a lot. We are not going to take any decision which would negatively affect her life."

"She doesn't want to get married! Why does she need to get married before we relocate anyway?"

Brindadebi expressed her views, "What will you do with Rai and me? You may get Mini married, but you cannot get rid of us like that!"

"Ma, we are not getting rid of her. Why are you misinterpreting my words?" Barun asked his mother.

"It sure seems that way, Baba! You cannot do this to her!" Abhrajit interrupted.

"What are we doing to her, son? Why are you speaking to your father so rudely? She may be your sister; your cousin, but your father is her legal guardian!" Srishti spoke to her son, decisively.

"Don't sound so incredulous Ma! You know exactly what you are doing. You are paving a path into a sad future for her; one that would destroy her." 

"We are not suggesting anything like that. Don't put words in my mouth," Barun answered his son.

To any outsider, it would seem like the family members were fighting with one another over the division of property, but no one would be able to guess that it was the future of the family's daughter which was being discussed with so much vigour and agitation.