12. Stranger

DEDICATED TO: SreshthaChatterjee8 and jimmyprotested29

"A stranger isn't necessarily someone you do not know. Sometimes, the greatest injuries are caused by strangers who tend to mask themselves behind deceptive facades.

'Et Tu Brute?' hurts the heart more than the pierced dagger that costs you your blood."

-Elegiac_Damsel

________

August 24

Third person's point of view:

It began raining when Mrinalini was on her way home, beginning with a mild drizzle that paved the way to a torrential downpour.

Carrying an umbrella had slipped out of her mind when she had exited the house. She clutched the burlap bag of vegetables tightly as the rain descended upon her. The velocity and intensity of the rain increased as did her speed. The visibility wasn't great and there were puddles on the pavement that had formed due to loose tiles creating depressions and voids that were now filled with muddy water.

By the time Mrinalini reached home, her blue kurta was sticking to her torso, while her white leggings had turned translucent, dark splotches marring parts of the soiled fabric. Her hair was wet and there was water dripping off the pasted strands that were plastered to her forehead and the back of her neck. Sweat and raindrops glistened on her skin as she ran her hand casually over her brows, in an unsuccessful attempt at wiping herself dry.

She brushed off the lingering raindrops from her palm before pressing her index finger to the switch and ringing the doorbell. Her sister-in-law opened the door for her, raising her eyebrows at Mrinalini's bedraggled state.

"Give me the bag, Boudi (sister-in-law). I'll keep it in the kitchen. You can freshen up and make some tea maybe? I just got back from college myself and..."

"I will be back in a while," Mrinalini said shortly, handing over the bag to Anumegha, glad to be relieved of the heavy burden

She stepped over the threshold, gingerly, wiping her feet on the doormat, frowning. It was only after she felt sure that her steps wouldn't leave muddy imprints on the tiled floor, did she proceed to go towards her room.

Debarghya was on a phone call when the door to their room creaked open. A visibly distressed-looking Mrinalini entered the room. He glanced at her, raising his eyebrows inquisitively, like his sister had, at her disheveled and unkempt self. He noticed the trail of water droplets that her soaked clothes had traced into their room. Her kurta was sticking to her bodice, clinging due to moisture. The muddy splotches on her feet and leggings caught his eye and he shook his head, in a disapproving notion. She looked at him and smiled slightly, abashed at his lingering, scrutinizing gaze.

"I'll be back." she mouthed, reaching for her towel which had been drying on the chair, next to where he was standing

He nodded before turning his attention back on the call, "Sir, how can it be my fault? I asked the stockists to send me the statements, they didn't. I..."

Mrinalini flinched as she heard the voice from the other end saying something incoherent, but sharp and rude. She caught Debarghya's eye as he removed the cell from his ear, letting out an inaudible, helpless sigh, his ears turning red in mortification. She turned away abruptly, sensing his discomfort and embarrassment.

Sighing at her appearance in the mirror, she cursed under her breath, before shutting the door to the bathroom and locking it. She had her disheveled self to deal with.