16. Calm

DEDICATED TO: manyakumar31  kadhambari_24 kihdin

"The only certainty of time lies in its uncertainty,

the unpredictable oscillating pendulum drives,

the inexorability, the potentially catastrophic might,

that can penetrate through the darkness, with its blinding light.

The steady ticking of the clock that never ceases,

causes the pulse to quicken, the breathing deepens.

Inhaling calmness to exhale unrest,

a life companion, supporting its quest.

Just as the suns' rays caress the earth,

time sweeps through all that's mighty, alas, lies dirt.

Calmness is an illusion, a mirage in the mighty sands,

one that you crave during a ferocious storm,

one that graces you when all but nothing's lost.

You can pray for peace, you can obliterate sound,

you can pause your thoughts, to welcome the calm;

free, liberating, and unbound.

-Elegiac_Damsel

_____

20th September

Third person's point of view:

It was dawn.

The City of Joy was waking up, gradually.

The sun's rays cast their light on the sparkling waters of the Hooghly river, making each wave and ripple on the water surface to closely represent the twinkling stars that were gradually retiring after a tireless night of lighting the horizon alongside the moon. The atmosphere was serene, quiet, calm, contradictory to the noisy business of the streets that would surface later as the day progressed. The fishermen were up and about, their boats venturing out to this particular distributary of the holy Ganges, finding fish for the buyers to purchase later. The flowers bloomed happily, the lotuses in ponds opening their beautiful petals, aroused by the sun's caress.

A few pedestrians lined up near bus stops, probably awaiting the arrival of transportation that would ferry them to their respective places of work. Despite most households still plunged into a deep slumber, the sun smiled down upon early risers, spreading its warmth and light to all those who sought the same.

Mrinalini, one such early riser, was bustling about in the kitchen of the Acharya household.

The weather had become unbearably hot in the past week. The consistent showers had ceased, and although the forecast suggested a return of the dreary weather during the impending Autumn festivities in the first week of October, the temperature and humidity soared high.

The unprecedented heat had been getting on everyone's nerves lately. Anumegha and Debjani rarely exited their air-conditioned room. Mrinalini would also often seek respite and refuge from the heat during the day and evening by spending time in her mother-in-law and sister-in-law's room.