11. Aftermath

"The calm that precedes a storm sends shivers down the spine, in anticipation. The one that follows the storm reflects the aftermath; silent mourning and plain devastation."

-Elegiac_Damsel

______

24th August 

Third person's point of view:

The sky wasn't as overcast as it had been the night before. 

The sun was peeking from the horizon, its golden rays reaching out beautifully, through the mist. The fresh monsoon scent of grass and moist soil lingered in the air. The dawn seemed majestic and alluring, as it welcomed the day ahead. 

Mrinalini was awoken by a sudden chilling gust of wind that tickled the sole of her feet, causing miraculous goosebumps to erupt on her skin. She shivered at the cold sensation and tried to bury her feet underneath the duvet, her hands hugging her frame, rubbing her shoulders to preserve heat. Her eyes were sleep-laden and dazed. Her body wasn't ready to wake up so soon. She rolled over to the other side lazily and closed her eyes again. 

She tried to fall back asleep, but a sudden wet sensation in her nether parts made her sit upright. Her abdomen felt pained and heavy, almost like a tight knot had been tied in there. She got up from bed and pushed the duvet aside, straining her drowsy eyes to inspect the printed linen for stains. 

Satisfied and relieved at the clean sheet, though crumpled by her restless movements overnight, Mrinalini walked away to the bathroom, grabbing her clothes, towel, and a sanitary napkin. She took her time in the shower, letting the warm water soothe her. She soaked in her stained underpants and washed them thoroughly, muttering under her breath and mentally gearing up for more such nuisance in the next five days.

The weakness from the night before combined with the long duration that she had endured without food had her craving for breakfast. She hurriedly dried herself off and changed into a kurta and leggings. This was the first time since the wedding that she had chosen to wear clothing that she had been familiar with. Since 8 days had already passed, she wasn't compelled to wear saris or all her bangles. The change was welcome and relieving.

When Mrinalini stepped out of the bathroom, Debarghya was still sleeping. He had turned and rolled over to Mrinalini's side of the bed, taking advantage of the extra space. The duvet had been pulled up to his chin and he looked peaceful. 

Mrinalini shook her head, smiling slightly at the sight of her sleeping husband. This was something that he did every morning. He would feel hot at night, throwing away the duvet hither tither and in the morning, the duvet would cover him throughout, almost like he was freezing due to cold. She tip-toed to the dressing table and brushed the knots out of her hair, trying her best to minimize any form of noise that would disturb Debarghya's sleep.

Feeling a low rumble in her stomach and a sudden hunger pang, she made her way to the kitchen, scrounging for a jar containing biscuits. Munching on an oat's digestive, she proceeded to light the stove and placed a saucepan containing water, for boiling. She had to make tea for everyone and set aside some warm water for her cup of coffee later. She grabbed another biscuit, her ravenous self welcoming the plain biscuit as she filled a bucket and mixed detergent into the water before soaking the used clothes from the day before.

Her mind was calmer than it had been the previous night. Rai's words and confession had taken time to sink in. The initial shock and the impromptu feelings of anger, disbelief, and shock had worn off, but the aftermath would remain in the form of an old scar. The wound was still raw and it would take time to absorb it all. The hurt would be there as would resentment and agony.