Prologue

Mrinalini:

"... And who's your favorite character?"

"Krishnaa" she replied with conviction and no hesitation in her voice

"As in?"

Mrinalini smiled as she had anticipated this question, "You know her. Just that the world remembers her as Draupadi; the daughter of King Drupad."

He leaned towards her slightly asking further, "Why? Is it because she was a strong lady?"

She nodded, "Indeed. She had 5 husbands, she was born to a powerful king, but she had an identity beyond all that. She was strong, confident, and beautiful in every way. But there is something more that I appreciate and admire about her."

"And what that might be?"

"The fact that she stood out; strong, beautiful and an independent woman, even in a narrow-minded, patriarchal era."

...

...His hand reached to fill my parting with vermilion.

My heart thumped against my ribs and goosebumps appeared miraculously on my arms. I looked up, my eyes searching for my mother... but she had obviously retreated inside the room after adjusting the red veil on my head and kissing me on the forehead. I could see my uncle who had a smile on his face and my older cousin's brother was greeting some random guest. My aunt was balancing the gift boxes in her hand while my grandmother waited patiently, sitting in her chair, for the rituals to get over.

And then even before I could comprehend, there was sindoor in my parting, some of it falling on my nose and another veil was draped on my head. My eyes lowered their gaze almost instinctively. The conch and coral bangles on my wrists, the heavy wedding garland around my neck, and the sound of conch blowing and my college friends hooting in the background; made my mind go blank for a moment.

I felt the stare of my 'husband' on me and then it dawned upon me; the sanctity of the bangles, the significance of the vermilion, the implication of the two veils on my head... I was married now! No longer Ms. Debnath... I have two families now. I have the love and responsibility of two households. I have a husband now.

And just like that, with a pinch of vermilion, a girl metamorphosed into a woman. Her maiden name forgotten and her immature self put to sleep.

...

It was time for me to bid farewell. It was time to leave my house and family; so I could go and live with my husband.
Ma was dressed elegantly and although her exterior screamed happiness, I could sense the turmoil her conscience was in. She stepped forward to bless me and my husband before we could take leave.
Her right hand trembled as she placed it on my head with the trefoil leaves and husked rice, in blessing. I felt tears spring up in my eyes when she leaned forward to kiss my forehead.
She turned to my husband and said,
"My child, please take care of my daughter. She is young. She is naive. She hasn't seen the real world much. She is everything I have. Help her. It will take her time to grow. To adjust and to get the wind of things. She's my gem. Aamar (my) Mrinalini... Take care of my sweetheart."
...

And just like that, Mrinalini's marital life commenced. With the love and blessings of her loved ones... And with the mysterious future, awaiting her.