Healing

Elizabeth's Journal Entry:

"It is said there is a time for everything, and right now in Hope Valley it's a time of uncertainty for many of us. I hope to open a library in town, Henry Gowen hopes to strike oil, and some of my friends are hoping for something they've yet to put into words. Life isn't always easy or fair, but the time for answers will eventually come to us all. As for the new young woman in town, everyone considers her altogether a mystery. She gave little to no information about herself when Rosemary and I visited her in the infirmary. Rosemary is confident and has a good feeling about her, but I can't help but wonder if her story and mine are destined to clash in a very big way. I can't explain it, but I am not going to dwell too much on the unknown and focus on loving my son, loving my students, and loving the potential
possibilities of a new chapter. I miss you Jack."

Elizabeth is grateful for the new announcement board in Yost's mercantile. The tiny slip of paper with bold script saying "Space Needed For Library," will pin perfectly in the center. Her best friend, Rosemary, had mentioned that people would like a library, but don't want to payfor one, and Elizabeth could not stop the disappointment in her heart by hearing it.

"Congratulations." Elizabeth pivots towards the sound behind her.

"Excuse me?" She asks.

"On the library." Mr. Lucas Bouchard points to the advertisement, and her face drops.

"Not yet."

"Oh."

"I just figured if I found a space then the town council would have a more concrete estimate of the cost." Elizabeth cannot help but notice a glimmer in the man's coffee-colored eyes. She wonders half the time if he might fancy her, but she is not ready for anything to involve beyond the role of friend or acquaintance. The school teacher does not deny his being attractive though.

"Perhaps there is an element of positive thinking going in there as well."

Elizabeth nods once, "Perhaps." The saloon owner is very observant, and she is certain he can read how close he was to the mark. She had never been good at hiding her thoughts from those sorts of people. Jack was one of them. A gnawing ache settles over her shoulders. Elizabeth is weary from all the responsibility of life, but she could ask for nothing else.

"As a gambler, I live and die on that," Lucas continues.

"And as a teacher I hope my students never have to." Elizabeth squints her eyes ever slightly before she walks past him.

"Well, good luck," Lucas buries his fingers deep into his pockets and his manner is sincere. Elizabeth has only to realize how much integrity he is capable of. "Every town needs a library," he finishes.

Elizabeth shows her teeth, "I couldn't agree more. Good day to you, Mr. Bouchard."

"Please, it's Lucas."

Little does the school teacher know, Lucas Bouchard smiles as she turns out the door, and travels into the street. A sensation of peace washes over him, and the fond memory of this woman, this mystery, would be engraved in his mind the rest of eternity.

 A sensation of peace washes over him, and the fond memory of this woman, this mystery, would be engraved in his mind the rest of eternity