Love

WHEN I APPROACH THE DOOR to Abigail's Cafe, masculine voices sound loud enough for me to listen in. "You're supposed to mince the garlic. I thought you said you could cook."

"Well, Allie doesn't complain, although she's been offering to cook more lately." I hear a pot being stirred slightly.

"I was at Elizabeth's earlier, she had this big bouquet of flowers on her table. Someone left them by her front door. No card."

"Sombody got her flowers?"

"Yeah, thought you might know something about them."

And audible sigh, and the man I know to be Nathan inquires, "Did she like them?"

"You could say that." It becomes so silent after that, dragging on for eons, and I take that as my que to barge in.

I pretend to be surprised at what I observe. "What a rare sight. Two men of the law cooking together."

Bill smirks, "Nyrah, come and teach this little boy what it means to mince the garlic." Nate rolls his eyes, one hand in his pocket, one stirring the pot. "Little boy?"

I soak in the scent of spices, practically shoving my face into the pot Nathan is tending. "Some type of marinade?" I ask.

"You like it?" Bill unwraps another package of ribs, casting the stained paper into the waste. I catch Nathan staring at me again. I contemplate as to whether he really was curious about Elizabeth's flowers. "Without a doubt, but I have a feeling you men will join us at the party anyway, so I hope to eat one of them." I emphasize the word "men," for the sake of Nathan.

"Not a chance." Bill swipes the silver spoon from my fingers, forbidding me from tasting the marinade. I only wanted a lick. I wasn't about to snack on an entire spoonful. My tongue shrivels at the idea, before my lip pouts in protest. Nathan fails to hold back a chuckle. "Fine, be a grumpy Aragog."

"What on earth is an Aragog?" Wouldn't Bill love to know. I suppose I could inform him, but not explain where it's from.

"A massive spider twice your size. His offspring love to attack people in one massive wave."

The Judge's brow lifts higher than the eiffel tower. "Sounds about right," Bill agrees, "but I think you read too many books."

I wave off his accusation because I am not a book lover at all. I read once and a while, but I prefer movies or crafts to keep me busy. "Yeah, but I didn't come here to talk about my reading habits. I came here to ask if you happen to know if I left my purse here yesterday."

"Over on the shelf."

"Thank you." Turning to leave with what I came for, I anticipate the fun of Clara's party tonight, though, Nathan has another idea than for me to walk outside into the mountain valley air, and go on with my day

"Nyrah?"

"Hm?" I hum teasing the beads on my hurricane gray purse. "Yes?"

"May I please...speak with you?" He opens the door, motioning to the back yard deck "I only need a couple minutes of your time." His voice shakes like a squirrel on a rope. Is this about his father?