Open Eyes

"No, nurse Zia, don't check your paperwork again!" The woman flinches with the weight of my hand over her clipboard. "Either we are allowed to visit him or we're not, and I will not withstand any more ambiguous hollyfluff over the phone."
Nurses and doctors gafaw over the audacity I have to question their co-worker. I didn't yell at her, so I don't know why they are so disturbed.
When I called the hospital again at dawn, they told me the same thing as yesterday. I can't afford any more "call back tomorrows."

"Ma'am, I am so sorry, but the doctor has done everything-"

"I realize he has done everything he can, but you have no idea how hard it is hearing that your friend is unresponsive and then hear the line click into silence!" I am about to blubber, in front of everyone. Ther eyes are growing wider. "At least tell me he's alright," my voice cracks. Air is constipated in my esophagus, not moving and inch into my lungs. I have already lost my entire family. I cannot bear losing Nathan too.

Zia adjusts her skirt, cheeks cherry red with steam, but manages to remain professional at the last second. "The doctor will see you soon. He can explain everything to you."

"Don't worry, nurse, I am here now." A tall man of fifty, peppery hair, and deep crow's feet offers me and Allie a handshake. He smells of coffee. "I'm Dr. Parker. I'll get right into it, because I know you are anxious to know about Mr. Grant's condition-"

"Someone told me he was unresponsive."

"That is true. He was unresponsive for a time in the night, but we managed to make him stable again. He is very weak, and still remains unconscious. I have confidence Thay he will wake up soon, but that could range from a few hours to a few days."

"Please, I know that he is not awake, but we would like to be here for him as long as you will allow."

"You may stay as long as you leave the room when we check his vitals. Visiting hours end at five each evening."

"Thank you so much," Allie chimes in, antsy for him to direct us to her uncle's whereabouts. "Where is he?"

"Down the hall. Room twelve." I nod, confirming my appreciation to the physician, before gripping Allie's hand. We both make haste, our headaches grown from our eyes darting fast to read every room number. This is nothing like a modern hospital I have known. The walls are shadowed with gloom, but that could be from the drench outside, starlight tears crashing from the clouds. I am cooped up inside again. I want to dance in the rain, but I don't mind missing it, somehow. I am exactly where I want to be.

At noon, I finally convince Allie to eat some food. I don't want her to starve herself. I kiss Nathan on the forehead, and take his niece to The Biscuit, a cozy little Cafe that reminds me of the one in Hope Valley. After ordering, I sigh.
"You're still quiet," I observe, chin cradled by my hand.

"I'm sorry," she says. "It's just...I'm worried about uncle Nathan. What if he doesn't wake up like the doctor said?"

"I think he will."

"How do you know that?"

"Because I need-" I correct myself, "Because the town needs your uncle. His work here is not finished. You need him most of all."

"You really love him don't you? Maybe, you need him just as much as I do." Allie gets choked up.

I sip my glass of water and smile sadly. "This isn't about me," I remind her. The food is served, and the steam wafting from my plate is enough to send me to the moon. Allie scrunches her nose at my meal choice. Macaroni and Cheese. Except, the real homemade version. The young girl snarls at the blips of ketchup drizzling over the top, and her face turns green.