The Morning After

I woke up the next morning and couldn’t remember where I was. Looking around the room it was done in blacks and browns. Even the sheets I was laying on were black. I went to sit up and that’s when the panic attack hit. There was someone in the bed with me. What if the last twelve years were just a bad dream? What if I was still with him, with Jared? As my panic attack started to get worse the person in bed next to me moved.

“Hey, you’re ok now, you’re ok now.” When he realized that wasn’t working he started to yell. “Mia. Shit, Mia get in here now.” He yelled then started trying to calm me down again.

“What the hell Dom I was sleeping?” I heard a female say from the doorway as he kept talking to me.

“Help me Mia, I don’t know what to do.” Dom said. She looked from me to him and then back to me again.

“Dom get out.” She said walking over to me.

“What? How’s that supposed to help?”

“Just get out.” She said sitting down on the bed and pulling me into her lap. I heard then man walk out of the room and heard the door click shut behind him. “It’s ok now, he’s not here, he can’t hurt you anymore.” Mia kept repeating over and over while rocking me in her arms until the panic attack was over.

“I’m so sorry.” I said into her chest as I started to cry. I hadn’t had an episode like this in a while. I thought I would finally be over it, over what he did to me.

“Do you want to talk about it?” Mia asked as she continued to rock me. I shook my head no. When I finally calmed down I pulled my dress back on from the night before. “You know you should at least talk to Dom about this don’t you.”

“Could you let him know it’s not his fault? I’m just not ready to see him again yet.” I said pulling open the window and climbing down the tree by his window. I walked out to my car and pulled out of the drive. Just before I pulled away I seen Dom open the front door. I shook my head at my own stupidity and drove away.

I spent the rest of the day wandering around town, and generally avoiding anywhere the crew was likely to head. I even stopped and bought a new outfit so I wouldn’t have to go home. When I pulled up to my house at around ten ’o’clock I stopped before pulling in the driveway. There was a car there that looked vaguely familiar. As I sat watching the car I saw a guy climb out of the driver’s door. As he stepped toward my car the streetlight fell on his face and my heart stopped in my chest. Jared was walking toward my car, and he looked pissed. Before he got any closer I raced away from my house, and to the only other place I could go although after this morning I didn’t know what kind of reception I would receive.