Into a Bush

"So, maybe this wasn't such a good idea," said Sirius, shivering and wrapping his arms around him. "It's cold out here."

"Really," said Tonks, who was waving a glowing rectangle in the air. "And it has really bad cell phone service."

"Why does that matter?" asked Sirius. "And why are you holding a glowing rectangle. Is it some sort of top-secret weapon?"

"Um, no. That's my phone. And that's why it matters." Tonks paused in her desperate attempts to bring her phone back. "Do I look stupid?"

"I'm going to say yes," said Sirius. "But we have bigger fish to fry than your phone."

"Oh come on. What can be more important than telling your friend that he's won ten free tacos?"

"We ran out of M&Ms," whimpered Sirius, clutching his knees to his chest and rocking back and forth.

"That," Tonks gestured to Sirius, "Is sad."

"I know, my blood sugar's getting lower!"

"No, that's sad for another reason." Tonks went back to waving her phone frantically.

"Oh..." Sirius wrapped the blanket he'd gotten from the house around him.

"Work, work!" muttered Tonks to her phone, clearly in denial.

"You're going to have to give up soon," pointed out Sirius.

"Define soon." Tonks turned her phone upside down and shook it. A spider scuttled across the screen. Tonks gave a silent scream and slapped it, sending it flying into the bushes. Tonks stuck her phone into her pocket. 

From Old Gold's house, came the sound of blues music. "Ohhhh, my baby's gone! She slapped me good. I wish it was metaphorical, but there was some blooooood, OW, OW, OW, OWWWWW"

"Sheesh," said Tonks. "This guy's got issues."

"Issues. Mhm. He's just a normal dog with issues." Sirius rocked back and forth faster.

"If you ever go insane, how will I tell?" asked Tonks.

"Hahahahaha!" giggled Sirius.

Early in the morning, Tonks and Sirius crept back to bed. When Tonks burrowed next to Remus, grateful for his warmth, he remarked, "You smell like leaves."

"Oh, um..." Tonks tried to think up a lie. "It's my new shampoo. Leaf, um... outside... Dirty Leaf!"

"Yep, that's believable. Also there's a hint of chocolate."

"M&Ms," said Tonks. "You can't live without 'em."

"Um... I'm just gonna pretend this isn't happening..." Remus rolled over and went back to sleep. Tonks, bored, got up to play with Sneakers. The little dog was gone, not in her bed. 

"Richard? Sneakers?" Tonks made her way through the house, only delayed for a short while  by a pot that fell on her head, nearly knocking her unconscious. "Sneakers? Where are you? Why are you doing this to me?"

A few whimpers came from outside. "Sneakers?" Tonks stepped under the porch, tripping over Richard, who had been laying just outside the door. Brushing herself off, Tonks groped through her pockets for her phone, and turned it on, to use it as a flashlight.

Cautiously, she peered under the porch and gasped. Five adorable puppies were snuggled next to Sneakers.

"They're so cute!" whispered Tonks. "They look like half Richard and half Sneakers." Tonks slowly reached a hand out to pet one. Sneakers sat up and Tonks froze. Gently, using one finger, she reached forward and stroked the head of a puppy. Sneakers relaxed and allowed Tonks to pet her puppies. "I love them already!" Tonks declared.