Chapter 1

Hayley's POV:

      I stare at Carlisle waiting as this is his last day of the transformation. I focus my hearing and hear his heart slow down. I back up remembering that Ben said newborns are unpredictable when they first wake up.

     "It's almost time," I softly tell Ben who's in the other room with a woman who's a murderer. He found her trying to lure a man in an alley. There's been a number of men going missing in town and Ben found out it was her.

    Ben comes in the room and stands next to me. We hear Carlisle's heart give one last thump. He opens his ruby eyes and sits up, looking around in shock. Carlisle touches his face then looks down at himself.
"Carli," I softly call out making him look at us.

He stand up quickly, "a-am I a vampire."  We frown sadly and nod. He holds his throat and swallows thickly. "You need to feed, Carlisle. The burning will stop after you feed," Ben softly tells him and nods at me.

I speed to the woman in the other room and bring her to Carlisle. He whimpers taking a step back shaking his head. "I-I can't. I w-won't," he speeds out of the house with Ben and I following.

We follow him all the way into the woods when finally he stops and falls to the floor dry sobbing. 'Oh Carlisle' I thought sadly and sped to him bringing his sobbing form into my arms.

"I-I don't want to hurt anybody, Hayley," he sobs into my chest. I kiss his head gently rocking us. Doesn't matter if he's a grown man, I will always take care of him. "It's okay. Shh, it's okay. We'll figure something out, Carlisle," I rub his back.

Ben sighs and kneels down in front of us. "There might be another way. I don't know if it will work. But it's worth a try," he says putting a hand on Carlisle's shoulder. I look at him confused. He gulps and looks away.

"Come with me," he stands up and I help Carlisle up. Ben speeds away. I hold Carlisle's hand and speed after Ben as he goes deeper into the woods. Ben stops and holds a finger to his lips indicating to be quiet.

We see an elk roaming around in front of us. "Go ahead, Carlisle. Just follow your instincts," Ben says quietly and gently pushes towards the animal. Carli looks back at me nervously. I give him an encouraging smile and a nod.

I watch Carlisle turn back to the elk and take an unneeded breath before pouncing on the animal and bite into its neck drinking the blood. "Why didn't you tell me there was another way?" I ask Ben never taking my eyes off of my brother.

Ben sighs heavily. "I never told you because I didn't want you to make the same mistake I did. When I was a younger vampire I tried living off animal blood but it never cured the burning or hunger, no matter how much I drank. My hunger overpowered me and I lost control. I slaughtered about 30 innocent people and I don't want that for you. Animal blood doesn't satisfy us since we are hybrids," he explains looking down shamefully.

I frown sadly, wrapping my arm around him for comfort. "I'm sorry, Ben. I know you're just looking out for me and that's one of the reasons why I love you," I lean up and kiss his cheek then pull away.

Ben gives me a smile which I return before we both look back to our brother. Carlisle is licking the blood off his lips then looks at us. "How do you feel Carli?" I ask approaching him slowly. He clears his throat, "the burning stopped."

I smile slightly and push his hair out of his face. Ben comes over and pats his back, "it seems normal vampires can with stand animal blood. That's good."

..............

       Throughout the decades Carlisle has been able to live off of animal blood and is able to resist human blood. The crazy thing though, the animal blood changed his eyes to a golden color.