Chapter Twenty-Three

I'm counting the minutes I have left till Sam is here. The anticipation is killing me. Clara is talking up a storm but I don't hear a word she is saying. I just nod along continuously looking at the time on my phone. I hear the door open and Alfred makes his way in the sitting room.

"Mam Sir Samuel has arrived."

I shriek with joy and run out of the room. I can hear the guard running after me as I dart down the staircase to the foyer. I fling open the heavy front doors. There he is unloading his bags from the limo.

"Sam!" I say running to him. "Dahlia!!" He yells back.

I leap into his arms and squeeze him as tight as possible not wanting to let go. I start crying because I'm so happy to have him here.

"Hey no need to cry."
"Sorry I'm just happy you're finally here." I say letting go.
"So this is your pad?"
"Yeah one of em."
"One? Jesus! Well show me around."
"Okay. Don't worry about your bags. They'll put em in your room." 

"But of course." Sam says putting his pinky up.

I take Sam from room to room while catching him up on everything that has been going on.
"So um is he gonna follow us the entire time?" Sam says pointing to the guard.
"Yeah I can't be left alone because of the whole Colin incident."

"Oh yeah what's up with that guy anyway?"
"Long story. He's just messed up and he's got a vendetta with Liam now. Hence the guard everywhere we go."
"Everywhere?" Sam asks.
"Well I get to go to the bathroom alone." I laugh.
"Ah so that's where the line is drawn."
"So I have to ask. Have you spoken to my mom?"
"I have." He says quietly.
"And?"
"She's upset. She's just sad. She feels like she's lost you."
"Well she hasn't. She made the choice to not accept me and Liam." 

"Yeah I tried talking to her but she wasn't having it."
"I swear she can be so stubborn."
"By the way Violet really misses you."
"Yeah I know. She's sent me a couple of emails. My mom isn't letting her talk to me. It's so dumb."
"Yeah it is. But just give her time. I think she'll come around. She's just processing it all. I didn't even tell her I was coming here."
"No?"
"Nope. I knew she'd kill me."
"Yeah your right. Anyway, Lunch?"
"Yes! I'm starving. Let's see what those classy chefs serve up."

We make our way to the patio to have lunch and then it hits me. Liam is having those thoughts again. This is the worst time for him to be thinking about this. And sure enough my phone goes off. I ignore it. It buzzes again. I quickly look down at it.

I know you can feel me right now. Stop ignoring my calls.

I go back to ignoring him. He knows Sam is here and I am spending time with him. We sit down at the table and wait for our plates to come. My leg shakes trying to keep ahold of myself. I don't want Sam to notice. But my phone keeps going off and the heat s gushing over me.

"Something wrong? You're sweating." Sam says.
"I'm fine just hot from all the walking." I say fanning myself with my hand. 

"It's not that hot out and if you're sweating from walking you need to get out more."
"I swear I'm fine." I start fanning myself off and take a sip of water to cool me down.
"Your phone keeps going off. You wanna answer it."

"No, it's just Liam."
"Where is he anyway?"
"He's gonna be in meetings all afternoon. You'll see him later."
"Seems pretty important if he's blowing up you phone D."
"It's fine. He'll get over it. I'll deal with it later."
"Or now." Sam says pointing behind me.
"Hey Sam!" Liam says.
"I was just asking D when I'd see you." Sam says getting up to shake hands with Liam.
"Yeah sorry I'm in meetings all day. I just need to talk with Lillian real quick."